• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Diamondback

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I am certainly not an advocate of killing any creature. However, I just could not share my yard with this diamondback rattlesnake and my five dogs. I rescued my deaf and blind dog from this snake. The snake was coiled and ready to strike and the dog was oblivious to the danger. I have enrolled my dogs in a snake avoidance course but, this will not work for the blind and deaf dog...
Snake_6543.jpg
ILCE-7M3    E 28-75mm F2.8-2.8    75mm    f/5.6    1/160s    ISO 320

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hat band material there.
Glad the dogs are safe now.
My brother ran into a rattler up at his place.
They are native to his habitat as he's way out in the country. I suppose you can expect to find them just about anywhere in SoCal for that matter.
Did you measure it for length?

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Hat band material there.
Glad the dogs are safe now.
My brother ran into a rattler up at his place.
They are native to his habitat as he's way out in the country. I suppose you can expect to find them just about anywhere in SoCal for that matter.
Did you measure it for length?
It was pretty close to 36-inches... Not a giant but, full-grown!

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
IMG_5154 (2).jpg
Apple    iPhone X back dual camera 4mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/5348s    ISO 25

This is the one my brother ran into. Didn't have that many rattles on it so it was a young one. Still just as deadly though.
My Zoo prof in JC told a story about one of his students that lived in Malibu and raised rattlesnakes to collect their venom. Kid got bit by a baby snake. His girl friend took him to the local sheriff's station to get help. They refused to give him help, thinking he was a drug addict based on the puncture wounds.
The pics of his arm all swollen up and split open from the aftermath of the bite not being treated in a timely manner were enough to convince me I had to figure out where the closest treatment center was for my brother, just in case.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
The way my Zoo prof explained it, the venom becomes more concentrated the longer the snake doesn't eat. IE when it's starving for food the venom will be more potent so the kill is more likely. The student that got bitten was starving the young snake to get more highly concentrated venom from it.

Wow, what a tale! Karma I guess, for starving them. Sadly pathetic and typical attitude from law enforcement when they are confronted with exceptional situations of need and their prejudice takes over. What happened to "To Serve and Protect"? In this day and age, they'd be sued for their negligence and derelict of duty.

I ran into a 2-3 foot rattler under a small tree while doing backyard clean up. Gave me the biggest scare as I didn't see it, being well camouflaged. I jumped backwards before it reacted. I was so lucky! I had to unfortunately kill it with a garden hoe. They are also everywhere in AZ, and must be diligent of their presence. :-/

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I am certainly not an advocate of killing any creature. However, I just could not share my yard with this diamondback rattlesnake and my five dogs. I rescued my deaf and blind dog from this snake. The snake was coiled and ready to strike and the dog was oblivious to the danger. I have enrolled my dogs in a snake avoidance course but, this will not work for the blind and deaf dog...
View attachment 115858

Time to fire up the deep fryer! :D
You were justified. They can be deadly. And only a professional handler can remove them safely.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My brother has a shared driveway with a neighbor. They had a UPS delivery one day. Driver got out and said 'Grab the dogs! There's a snake up the driveway!'
Turns out there was and it was what the driver said was the biggest rattler he'd ever seen in that area, and he'd seen plenty on the dirt road that parallels the driveway on the other side of the dry creek bed.
What really got me was that the snake was right in the area of a shed my brother and I had been cleaning out just a few days prior to the UPS driver encounter. It was probably living under the shed we were working on, but since it was March and still pretty cold out it never made its presence known to us.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I don't want to judge people over creatures that I have no idea how to handle, so I won't! The snakes we see here are mostly not poisonous. First time, we panicked and called a snake catcher. His nose/instinct caught it in some matted grass. He said it was a rat snake, could give a nasty bite if really annoyed, but wasn't really dangerous to anything human sized, and was non-venomous. What I do get mad at is that the local attitude to such creatures tends to not get beyond kill! Our snake catcher took the snake home on the bus: in a cotton bag!

On the other hand, the really poisonous snakes of India are not that far away from us. I was talking to a guy with a coastal house who said that he was perfectly used to cobras being around, even stepping over them outside his door sometimes. Well, fine --- for someone that is really accustomed to them. I'd rather not.

Lots of people (thousands, I forget the number) do die, every year, in India, from poisonous snake bites. One thing that happens is that snakes get into toilets/bathrooms, and people go in there without turning on the light. Remember: never go into the toilet in the dark. It seems snakes don't like being interrupted when they are in there.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I was going to put on my garden boots, a while ago, but one of my Maltese was frantically barking at the boot. I found a large California King Snake curled up inside the boot. These are not venomous to humans but, would have scared the heck out of me if I tried to put my foot into a bool containing a big sleeping snake. I took the boot away from my house and shook out the snake. The King Snake is a wonderful reptile and eats small rattlesnakes as well as other unwanted vermin...

Latest threads

Top Bottom