Desire to Play

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Jman13, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Jman13

Jman13 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2014
    ...the piano. A6000 with Rokinon 85/1.4 @ f/1.4:

xander_piano.

• Like Like x 11
  2. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Love it! Very pretty shot!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A musician in the making

4. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I was hesitating to get the rokinon 85mm 1.4 but I thought it would be hard to have sharp shots without stabilization in low light conditions at this focal lenght (it's 127,5mm in FF equivalent) I saw you also have the Sigma 60mm. I just ordered it yesterday. What do you think of those two lenses?

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

5. Jman13

Jul 4, 2014
    They are very different lenses. The Rokinon (I have the EF mount version). Is an SLR lens that is big and moderately heavy, all manual focus of course. Decently sharp wide open and very sharp stopped down. It has simply beautiful bokeh and a great drawing style. The Sigma is small, more modern in rendering, critically sharp and with good, but not amazing bokeh.

I bring the 85 out on my A6000 or Fuji cameras when I want that special look. Otherwise it's a bit bigger than I like for a daily carry. I have a Canon FD 85/1.8 and a Zeiss Contax G 90/2.8 that are small and good for a mirrorless camera. They get more work due to size.. The Sigma will get most of my Sony portrait work, and my Fuji 56/1.2 gets most of the shots overall in the short tele range.

6. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thanks! I imagine they're very different indeed. There's an E-mount version by the way. Maybe lighter. I thought the DoF would have been more shallow shot at 1.4. Don't take me wrong, it is shallow, but I imagined we could have the same kind of DoF with the Sigma wide open. Maybe I'm wrong. I really wanted the Rokinon for its focal lenght and because it's a very fast lens, but the fact it´s full manual bothers me a little bit. For butterflies shots and with such a small DoF it's better to be able to have the AF. Except for this reason, I would love to experiment full manual lenses. Oh and as I said in my previous post, I was afraid to have difficulties to have sharp shots without OSS with such a long focal lenght. I asked advice to a pro and he told me it could be difficult in low light conditions, like at dawn. Meanwhile people seem to say the Sigma has terrific performances and is razor sharp even without OSS! I'm eager to receive it next tuesday!

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

7. Jman13

Jul 4, 2014
    Oh it's shallow...equiv. to a 128mm f/2 on full frame. The back of the image is only about 2-3 feet from my boy, so hard to really show off the background. This shot is on my Fuji X-M1, but same size sensor, so same blur. Here the background is still only about 5-6 feet behind her:

chloe_bow.

BTW, the E-Mount version is just the SLR version with the adapter built in...since I use this lens on multiple formats (I have Fuji, Sony and m4/3 kits since I review all three), I'd much rather have my Canon EF version.

Also, for butterflies, you don't want a lens like the Rokinon. First, it only focuses to 1m. Second, there's plenty of shallow DOF at smaller apertures when focusing super close.

Here's a butterfly shot at f/5.0 with the Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 (This is on the Fuji X-T1, but it's the same lens as the E-Mount version).
    butterfly1_z.

And one with the Fuji 60 macro at f/2.4 (so still not anywhere near the blur an 85/1.4 would produce if you could focus this close). This is PLENTY shallow.
    butterfly3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    great results!

9. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Oh I wasn't saying it's not shallow, it sure is. I was just imagining the second eye of your little boy would have been out of focus.
    Concerning the butterflies, it's not really the kind of work I do. I am more into exploring an artistic way to capture them, and when I do macro work I use extension tubes (till I get a real macro lens LOL) so the minimum focus lenght doesn't really bother me.
    Take a look at my flickr page. They're all done with the 16-50mm kit lens. The sigma is going to be my very first prime lens

By the way you have a great website!

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/