1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Depth of Field

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Mar 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all, I am
    reading these days the Bryan Peterson book, which is a great one :)

I would like to ask you though if my nex-f3 has a depth of field button as the author suggests trying out.

Regards
    Alex

2. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I think F3 hasn´t dof button... NEX doesn´t need DOF preview, because you see it straight on your display in real time... DOF button need only DSLRs, coz they do AF on wide open aperture and aperture blades are closed immedietelly before exposure...

3. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I use dof preview button on my DSLR maybe only twice, I consider this function as nearly useless, as you dont see real dof, but only his "viewfinder model" or how to say... Real dof is visible only on LCD, when you are seeing maked picture... (on DSLR).

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Can you help understand better this?
    Viewfinder should showing me what the camera sees with the apperture wide open, as the lens is by default. Or not?
    A

5. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    On the NEX, the LCD is live view. So what you see on the screen is what you will get when you press the shutter button. Changes in aperture, shutter speed, ISO, all show instantly as the changes are made before the shot is taken. It's called WYSIWYG, short for What You See Is What You Get.

6. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj

Exactly.

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    You can turn off live view, in which case you'd see full open aperture. Which can be useful for flash photography where you need to see to frame, when the light without the flash isn't enough.

But I agree, that with live view on, you are seeing the DoF you will get in the shot.

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks a lot !
    I wonder though how it does it technically... the apperture blades will only close (that is what I assume) after I click the shoot button... Right?

9. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Liveview on/of is some new function on NEX6? I have never seen it on my old NEX5...

10. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Or it is new I do not know the Nex 6 is my first Nex. But you can turn off.

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, its a new function. Doesn't make much sense on the 5 either,
    without a flas system ...

12. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I'm pretty sure I have seen it on my 5n, which is how I knew there was one; although I have not had occasion to use it. I'll try to remember to double check when I get home.

13. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Just checked the online 5n manual...

MENU -> [Setup] -> [Live View Display] -> desired setting

So it's definitely there in the 5n, but may not be in the earlier models. Also only works in PASM mode, not iAuto or SCN.

14. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    For NEX 3, NEX 5 the live view is always on. The aperture is not kept wide open during focusing. So what you see on live view is what the sensor will capture (set aside the delay in live view).
    What you see on live view screen is actually the output from sensor routed to live view.
    That's how I believe the mirror less technology works. There is no dedicated processor for focus detection (In NEX-5R and NEX-6 you have phase detection pixel embedded in image sensor itself)

I mostly use legacy manual focus lens; for which the camera any how can't set the aperture.

As for the explanation on the NEX 5N manual; the live view display settings will affect how exposure compensation , WB etc (not sure whether aperture settings is included in etc, possibly not) is shown on the LDC screen.

Copied from the 5N manual

Live View Display
    Sets whether or not to show images altered with effects of the exposure compensation,
    white balance, etc. on the LCD monitor.
    MENU
    t
    [Setup]
    t
    [Live View Display]
    t
    desired setting.
    • You can select [Setting Effect OFF] in the following shooting modes only:
    –[Manual Exposure]
    – [Shutter Priority]
    – [Aperture Priority]
    – [Program Auto]
    Setting Effect ON
    Shows the images with effects applied.
    Setting Effect OFF
    Does not show the images with effects applied.
    This setting will allow you to concentrate on the composition of
    the subject, as the subject appears on the screen as it is.