Depth of field preview lever - Minolta Rokkors

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jai, May 19, 2014.

1. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I had to cut the little depth of field preview lever off the back of some of my Rokkor lenses, because it was hitting something on the Metabones speedbooster.

A bit of a shame, but I didn't think it was such a big deal as I think I don't think I want to resell any of them. And obviously it doesn't affect the performance of the lens on a NEX camera.

But lately I have been thinking about buying a Minolta film camera (maybe an SRT101?) to play around with. If I use these lenses with the lever cut off, will they still meter properly?

How is the lens supposed to behave on a film camera? Is it normally wide open for composing, and then stopped down when you either press the depth of field preview button or the shutter?

If that is true, I guess I would have to meter wide open, select a shutter speed and then stop the lens down.
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No experience with Minolta cameras but most film cameras are able to meter lens open and pressing shutter will stop down automatically.
  3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    my minolta camera has a button to stop down lens and do the dof preview.
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The problem I have is, now that I have cut this little lever of my lenses, the dof preview button won't work.

Effectively, the lens will behave as if that DOF preview button is always on. Because the camera wont have a physical mechanism to force the lens to open to wide open.