1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Delta

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by TonyTurley, Jul 1, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Just experimenting a bit, using an image of a Delta A-319 lifting off on a wet, foggy morning.

Tony

Attached Files:

2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah, that one really works in B&W too. The gradients on the hills are great. Nice editing.

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Jaf.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Nice indeed, but is there some dirt on the sensor? Seems too high a contrast for things on that mountain, spoils an otherwise excellent picture.

i-n8TWxDf-M.

5. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
  6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Ah, I see. Still distracting to my eye, I'd PP it away.

7. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, most ethical rules on photography state that you are not allowed to add anything to the scene that wasn't there or to remove something that was there. Even if it's an eyesore. You may edit light, colour and contrast to get closer to what the scene looked like, without significantlig altering the mood of the scene.

Although these rules mainly apply to press publications or photo competitions, I think it's good hygiene to adhere to them. Or to go the other way, edit the image so heavily that everyone sees that it is an artistic fantasy.

Still, this is an individual choice, of course.

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    As said I'd remove it without hesitation if it were my picture. I don't think I'm violating any ethics here just by removing something so unspectacular that I can't even see what it is. I've done it a lot, removing a white piece of paper in green grass, a wire in a blue sky etc. I don't care much about rules, hygiene whatever, I just judge if I might mislead the viewer and even if the viewer is misled, I may judge that that's alright. On the other hand, when I take a pic to sell a lens, I won't cover up any blemishes, that to me is fraudulent deception.

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    It is a cell phone antenna. I didn't consider it enough of a distraction to edit out. To each his own.

Tony

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep.