1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Deleting Jpeg Sidecar in Lightroom???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by doublezd, Jul 5, 2016.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    I have a Mac desktop computer and am using Lightroom 6.

Is there an easy way to discard the JPEG sidecar in the JPEG + Raw files?

I'm NOT Lightroom savvy, but I would love to do this to free up disc space since I don't use the Jpegs once I've uploaded my photos into my desktop computer's Lightroom. (I shoot both since I often upload to my iPad first, and post them on social media from there).

That said, I don't want to risk losing, damaging the RAW files, or creating "Photo is missing" situations when I do this.

Thank you

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

It's a true hassle. You have to go to preferences and set it to import JPEG and RAW independently so that the JPEG isn't treated as a side car and then delete the JPEGS manually.

For stuff that's already imported with the side car, there is a work around for getting rid of those, but it's convoluted and I can never remember it without Google...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you!

4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

If you google: delete sidecar jpegs lightroom

The first hit is a private Adobe forum that you need an adobe account to read. On the chance you don't already have one, here's the more complicated answer for jpegs side cars that already exist (I added the numbers for the steps myself):

5. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you very much for the carefully laid out directions. They may be a bit complicated for an unskilled LR user like myself, but I will give it a go.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I wonder just how much disk space you're going to save vs. possible risk of corrupting and/or losing some of your photos. Storage is so cheap these days, and jpegs don't take up much space. And if you're shooting raw+jpeg in order to post to social media, I find the jpeg preview that I get with my raw files is more than adequate for that purpose. So I shoot raw only, and the jpeg preview is always available should I want to post something in a blog or email a snapshot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I found that when I shot raw + jpg it was time consuming for some of my software to allow me to review many dozens of images in both formats. So I wrote a perl script that separates them and puts the raw images in one directory and the jpg in another as I load from the SD card. That was I can more quickly review the jpg images to select the few that I want to spend time processing raw. It also makes it easier to delete one set without affecting the other. It has helped me do a better job of tossing the trash images and concentrating on the good ones.

8. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you.

9. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015

Thank you. You've given me some important considerations to think about.