• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Decision: Keep F3 or 5N?

Jazzer

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Larry
Hi everyone -

I'm a new member, having been just reading posts for a little while now. It seems like a nice community.

I wish i had something more interesting to contribute as a first post, but I could use a little input with regard to a decision I have to make. I am new to NEX cameras and have recently acquired both a NEX 5n and an F3 (each w/ the 18-55mm kit lens) as well as an EVF. The story of having wound up with both cameras is a bit long and probably not really important, but I got good deals on both and one of them is going to have to go. I purchased the 5n new and the F3 used in like-new condition. I can get about $125-$150 or so more for the 5n and it cost about that much more when i bought it, give or take a little.

I like the 5n, but the F3 has one important feature -- a built in flash that allows me to use both a flash and EVF at the same time, if necessary. I honestly am not sure how often that may be important, but I have been known to use fill flash from time to time and the built in flash is handy.

Anyway, I'll need to make my own decision, but am interested in others opinions.

Thanks.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Determine what percentage of your shots will require flash. If the number is low go with the 5N, if it's high go with the F3.

Really can't go wrong either way. ;)

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hello and welcome Jazzer. Man you've gotten yourself in a predicament that more and more people are posting about. Teefin1 has a similar choice situation between her 5N and a newly acquired NEX6!

The IQ between your cameras should be the same, so perhaps you can base your decision on which camera you like most (feel, weight, size, menu interface, button locations and features)?

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I went from a C3 to a 5n and I was surprised at what a big difference some little things made. The biggest thing for me was how much faster the 5n is shot to shot.

Jazzer

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Larry
Thanks everyone. It is a tough choice, but a nice one to have. I actually had considered selling everything and buying a NEX 6, but I thought it probably made more sense to work with a less expensive model for a while and make sure I really am happy with the system. It also frees up some money for another lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom