1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Decent Editor

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by bobbill, Aug 18, 2018.

1. bobbill

bobbill TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2017
    I asked this before, but have really not gotten "down to it." I wanted to know of a decent editor...and added a few but must admit, have not really strayed far from old habits.

I have, for long time shot a pic/scan, as JPEG, stuck it in very ancient PS and turned everything to green, then to BW. Frankly, seems to work.

I have loaded Capture 1 and Silver Efex...but chickened...and now faced with scanning some ancient film (1930s to 50s) and sort of wondering...and to be honest, I really hate to scan stuff as it is so boring...

Beat me up?

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    There are lots of editors and everyone has a favorite. Adobe Lightroom has the biggest marketshare/mindshare I am certain. A lot of Sony people use Capture One (me, too) as it is free/cheap (depending on version). And Luminar, DxO, ON1, etc. If you only shoot JPEG there are still choices, e.g. FastStone can handle basic edits.

I am a big fan of shooting everything in RAW. You can always accept default (or customized default) processing on the photos and the result will likely meet or exceed in-camera JPEG. But when you do need corrections, RAW is far more malleable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    They say, old habits die hard, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But in order to experience the true scope of today's photography tools, you need to accept that you must pull up the sleeves and put in an effort to learn in depth, what is necessary to achieve your goals.
    RAW editing is no more harder than JPEG editing, except the results will be 10x better. The tools are better, the dynamic range significantly better. JPEG is the most crippled of formats when it comes to editing. It was meant as final compressed output of your results.
    You should not be scanning film stock or negatives to JPEG if you are planning to edit or convert later. I suggest you save it to a lossless format or to TIFF. JPEG is only 8 bit, while TIFF can be as high as 16 bit.

Capture 1 and Silver Efex Pro are two apps I use and they have yielded remarkable results in color and B&W. I recommend that you sit down and get comfortable with them, play around, and watch the online tutorials to get started with Capture 1.

Other recommended (free) apps are Dark Table and RAW Therapee. The latter has evolved to be quite a powerful and capable editor.
    And of course, there is Gimp. But it requires an external RAW converter to access Sony ARWs. Online how-to's are available.

But my recommendation is to get back to Capture 1 and Silver Efex Pro. And give RAW Therapee a try.

Can't help you with advice on scanning....that's a labor of love (or hate, LOL!).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Bdbits, Thanks. Very good. Some good advice and a couple new ones for me and will look into them this morning. My old PS still beckons...and it also why I stay away from Lightroom. I buy something, I do not relish being victimized at some later date, as has been the case with Adobe products and MS systems because younger dodgers are unfamiliar with older tools so do not scribe for them.

I suppose it is best to give a look to all and settle in to a couple...

DXO, Capture and Efex I have and should not let them rot...

WNG, "GIMP" is new one for me. will get on the Table and check out Therapee also.
    Thanks.

RAW it will be as of this morning. I tended to shy from raw cause my editors could not handle.

Yes, scans are short term nec evil for me. Those old negatives hang over me like storm clouds.

Capture and Efex I have and will play with beginning today, had forgotten...old habits die hard.

Appreciate the second helpings.

5. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    Many good programs offer trial versions that allow you to use the ful program free of charge for 30 days or so.

I use Photoshop CS2 (old but still great) and have all of the NIK programs installed. Silver Efex Pro is outstanding. I use DxO Photo to do my RAW editing as it has more options than the Sony programs.

6. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Johnson, I dig...but, takes me 30 just to try it and more to learn...Silver and Cap 1 and NIK suite seem the best and I (think) I have DXO...but not that part. My problem is too many hobbies...way too many and far too little time. Thanks.

7. johnson4096

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    You asked for suggestions on the best editor but you aren't willing to give some of the more complex programs a try, even when the trial is free? Sounds like you should get GIMP, which is very good and very free but which requires a bit of your time and effort as it has a learning curve. All of the better editors have a earning curve. The NIK suite is outstanding and you have an older version of the DxO editor so why not stick with those until you have more time on your hands. DxO Photo is the latest version that is the update to DxO Optic Pro 11.

8. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Mr. Johnson, its not refusal, its a matter of time managment. I have Cap 1, DXO, Silver and have not tried them only because I am involved with other stuff and do when it rains or gets cold, is all. Your advice for GIMP is well taken and I just loaded another editor called FastStone...again it is not the trial time, it's just the time...

I shoot lots and edit later...sometimes months later, when time permits...is all. DXO Photo...just rec'd note form them...will look...later. Your advice is well stated and will move on it...save for Cap 1 and Silver E, which I have and have...and seem a fit for me...BW fan.

9. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    FYI, you may want to check which version you have of Capture One. The current version (v 11) has some significant improvements over older versions. In addition, Capture One Pro for Sony (pay version) adds some worthwhile features to Capture One for Sony (free version) that are worth the cost, IMO.

- Tom -

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Tom, I am clueless so great heads-up. Will go back and look...Thanks.

11. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Just to add to the confusion, Luminar and Affinity Photo at least need to be mentioned.

12. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks Rae, I have loaded GIMP and will review Lumina and Affinity as well.

Tom, the Cap 1 version you noted is the $72 Sony only version, I take it?

You think that is like Silver E?

I am slowly going through the adverts for each...

Appreciate all the assistance, now have to do my part.

13. johnson4096

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    Photoscape X is an excellent free editor. It's not as powerful as GIMP but it's easier to use. They have versions for PC and MAC. The X version is for 64bit Windows, the 32bit version is Photoscape II.

14. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Correct. There is the base version of Capture One for Sony that is free, and then the Capture One Pro for Sony that adds extra features for a fee. Both of these will edit only Sony files, but Capture One also sells a version for a much higher price that will edit the files from most (all?) of the popular digital cameras.

Are you asking about comparing Capture One with Silver Efex? They are completely different types of programs. Capture One will edit both color and black & white files. Silver Efex edits ONLY b&w files. (It is an excellent program for that purpose, IMO. I got it when Google bought Nik Software and made their photo editing products available for free, and have used it satisfactorily.)

- Tom -

15. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks. Have the freeware and am going to buy the Sony only...already have Silver, but did not know Cap came with Silver I only really do BW photo art...snaps are color for fam...which I do not fret over as much as the art in BW. I also did same with NIK thingy as you did. Why not? But my crime is I never got it going. You are very helpful Tom and I thank you.

I appreciate and thank you for the help.

16. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    You are way ahead of me and I thank you. Am PC only, think 64 bit. Have maybe 6 programs and need to run them. I am such a slovenly slut...locked in habits I need to change, Mr. J. Appreciate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.