Decent 24mm lens (or other recommendations)?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zhoskins, Jun 29, 2013.

1. zhoskins

zhoskins New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    I am a new NEX-6 owner. I am coming from a D5100 using mostly the 35mm 1.8. I liked it, but I felt that it was a little too narrow for my liking; I'd prefer something wider for landscapes and travel photos. To that end, I like the idea of a 24mm (36mm equivalent). I don't necessarily need it to be fast: f2.8 is sufficient for my needs. I also don't want to pay too much (preferably <$125). Originally, I was looking at getting a Canon FD 24mm f2.8 because I already have an adapter that I am using for my incoming Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SLC, but I realized that I would prefer to have a separate adapter for each lens anyways to minimize mount/lens/cap/adapter fumblings.

I've also heard good things about the Sigma 30mm, although this has an equivalent focal length of 45mm, and I don't know if I would want something so narrow. Additionally, that ~30mm focal length seems to be where my SEL1650 seems to perform best, and I don't know if the Sigma would offer a substantial benefit. However, it does have the advantage of autofocus over the legacy lenses I am considering.

What 24mm legacy lenses are recommended in the price range that I am looking? Alternatively, would the Sigma 30mm be sufficient for my needs/be a significant upgrade from my kit 16-50 PZ?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I have a canon fd 24mm/2.8 and I think its great. It can be had right in the price range you are looking at. You can see some pics from this lens from members on this forum.
    Also...I don't think its a big deal with having just one adapter vs one for every lens. Its not any more "fumblings" vs having one for every lens.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I have a Vivitar 24/2.8 that I bought 10 years ago for the Contax RTS II and never used because I went digital shortly after I bought it. I think I paid $35 for it NIB at the time. It works just fine. I've posted several pics taken with it here before. Any SLR lens has to be pretty bad (and there are some out there) to not make acceptable pics on a APS-C size sensor.

I personally don't have an adapter for every lens within a certain lens mount. I have one Leica Thread Mount (ok, 2 , but one is a helicoid & I don't use it that often) and it stays on the camera and the lenses get swapped on/off of it. Same with Pentax and C/Y adapters. An adapter for each lens (assuming the same mount) just takes up space in the bag and IMO really gains you nothing.

4. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    Also consider the W-Rokkor lens 24mm f2.8, it is great! Or, Zuiko lens 24mm f2.8 also it is great!

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    A rather unknown lens is the Minolta MD Zoom 24-35mm 1:3.5. Surprisingly enough it's the best Minolta lens at 24mm if you consider sharpness across the frame at middle apertures f/5.6...f/11. I compared it to the MD Rokkor 24/2.8, plain MD 24/2.8 and MD Rokkor Zoom 24-50/4. Of course, there's always the caveat of sample variation. The 24-35/3.5 is the lens I'd take when I want a standard focal length for landscape shooting; to be honest, I just use my Sigma 30/2.8 because it never lets me down in terms of image quality and I've adapted to its focal length quite easily.

6. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    yeah ! canon fd 24 f2.8 definitely
    if you want to see some examples please go to my flickr profile : IzTheViz

7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    i bought a rokkor 24mm, but i paid a lot more than $125 i'm afraid. Hasn't arrived yet, but i hope it was worth it.

8. burgboy

burgboy New to TalkEmount

Jul 1, 2013
    How bout Pentax 24mm F2.8? Pls share your comments or pictures. Tks.

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk 2

9. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    There's quite a few good 24mm lenses out there. Personally I've used and loved the Sigma 24mm 2.8 with 1:4 "macro". It was sharp and the close focusing ability is always nice to have.

10. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Here are some samples from a MD Rokkor 24mm (55mm thread version)

First wide open:

shot wide open.

And now at f5.6

shot at f5.6 (1).

I hope i got the focus right? My tripod is kinda crappy.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    One posibility is Ensinor 24/2.8.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too had the 24mm Vivitar and Rokkor at one point. Both gave some pretty good shots, but after buying the Sigma twins I sold them off.

13. jvjc888

jvjc888 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    I was on the same boat few months ago. I decided to go wider and the sigma 19mm worked very well for me. Just do 1 step forward to zoom to your desired 35mm FL.

14. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I have an old Nikkor AI 24/2.8, a Minolta W-Rokkor 24/2.8 and the Sony/Zeiss.

IME the Nikkor is very capable. Not quite as tack sharp in the center but pretty clean in the corners when stopped down. The renderings seem slightly flat - just ever so slightly lacking in contrast - but nice results can be had.

9067071069_b9b805ebf0_b.
    Utah Hwy 21 by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

The Minolta has nice character, but you have to watch out for field curvature, which can be an asset or a liability depending on the scene. The center gets awesome sharp - the corners always stay just a tad sloppy (certainly weaker than the Nikkor's center, but still hardly noticeable under many circumstances).

If you can at all justify and/or afford it, the Sony/Zeiss is the bomb IMHO. Sharper all round at 1.8 than my legacy 24s are at 2.8. Great BOKEH, contrast and character. More compact. Closer focus. AF support. If it were not my most-used viewing angle, the price might give me pause (as is the case with the Touit series). But 35mm equivalent is my thing, so no regrets.