1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dear Sony. Would you mind fixing your cameras firmware thread.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by BlueBill, Jan 13, 2014.

1. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    Sony like all other camera manufactures seem to be very shy about putting out firmware updates. I'm starting this thread with a wish list for your Sony Alpha cameras.

1. Automatically disable RAW when a mode doesn't support it, of course re-enable it when RAW is supported.
    2. Add the two shot background blur as seen in many of Sony's Cybershot P&S cameras.
    3. Add FTP and or WebDAV to your in camera WiFi photo uploader app (are there any third party Sony app developers?)

Feel free to add your thoughts and suggestions.

Don't worry I'm not holding my breath for Sony to actually respond, but note to Sony: doing firmware and feature updates will cement brand loyalty.

2. digitalanalogue

digitalanalogue TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 28, 2013
    On point two, I believe you can do this with the multiple exposures app.

3. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Could you tell us how this works? sounds good, would love to have something like this if it does what I think it does

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My wish list (both NEX-6 and A7)
    • Option to have only a small square of the image enlarged for focussing
    • Button option for formatting. On the Nikon D300s you had to press 2 buttons simultaneously, that was convenient.
    • User comment option, e.g. to add lens data to a file
    • Optionally force the camera to use CDAF only
    • And bring on that FE 70-200/4! Oops, not firmware, gotta keep sayin' it...

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Actually, I think Sony does a quite good job in putting out firmware updates. They always fix the biggest issues. To the ones you mentioned (and please remember that this reflects my own opinion and is not meant offensive in any way):

1. No, I wouldn't want this. While it sounds convenient, I never want to be put out of RAW without me noticing it. Of course there could be a popup message that tells me, but then again, which modes don't support RAW? These are usually the ones you shouldn't use anyway because they process the photos in often uncontrolled ways.

2. Why? You can get quite shallow depth of field with NEX cameras, and adding a software layer to it will make it look unrealistic and gimmicky.

3. While I think all the apps are horrible anyway, I certainly wouldn't want to type in any FTP server data with the even worse on screen keyboard ... let alone that I wouldn't have a chance of editing the photos before uploading. I think just put them on a computer and upload via your RAW converter is the most convenient and best option. Just throw a 11" MacBook Air into your camera bag and you'll be fine.

• You can magnify the screen to any point quite big. What am I missing?
    • Most RAW converters allow you to format the card automatically after importing the photos. And even if not - I would hate a button combination that even had remotely a chance of deleting my photos by accident.
    • Might be nice for manual lenses, but Sony wants you to buy their lenses, so not gonna happen.
    • My camera doesn't have PDAF anyway, but I guess having an option to disable the PDAF pixels would be nice indeed.
    • It's still not available? Well, I'll wait for an APS-C version anyway, that one's too big and heavy for my taste.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I can't say I have any huge nagging issues with the A7 firmware thus far - seems like they addressed most of the suggestions I would have had from the NEX-7.

OTOH the PlayMemories remote app could be improved quite a bit. How about focus magnification and RAW captures available whilst triggering from the smartphone?

7. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I don't have an opinion about #2, 3. But I would agree with Poki RE: #1.

Also, setting min shutter speed with Auto ISO.

8. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    I still see no problem for an automatic RAW mode disable, sometimes the creative modes are fun to use. An additional auto RAW+JPG mode shouldn't be a big deal. Even a handy "RAW not supported mode, disable?" would be something.

As for FTP / WebDAV again it would be nice to have as an app option. Currently I use the in camera hotspot > iPad / DS photo+ > Synology NAS. This way my photos make it home from anywhere in the world.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The problem us that each of us has different needs/desires. You go changing one thing to satisfy one group and you upset another.

That's where the idea of Samsung's anroid based cameraas are an exciting idea.

10. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    This is true, everyone has a different workflow, wants and needs. I'm not talking about something that would affect how it currently works nor change its workflow unless it was set to by the user. Seems all the suggestions above would not affect normal operation on the camera, simply a feature add in.

Android running on cameras is an interesting idea, so are having Apps available. Problem with Sonys apps there seems to be zero interest in 3rd party application support or encouragement.

Examples:
    RAW, RAW+JPG, Auto RAW+JPG this would have zero impact on folks that don't want that feature, it's one extra menu option.
    FTP, WebDAV are user installed apps. Don't need em, don't install them. Sony lets you upload directly to Flickr so hard hard could FTP be?

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    As for Android - I don't want an operating system that constantly gets in the way of shooting photos (just look at the Samsung cameras with Android - it just does not work properly currently). If I could decide, I'd love having an operating system that does nothing but showing the screen, with one page for the necessary settings. Want aperture priority? Just turn the shutter speed dial to a 'Auto' position. Want shutter priority? Turn the Aperture dial to 'Auto'. You get the idea. Don't need any software gimmicks that aren't totally necessary to basic shooting. I might be very harsh here, but I don't want to have any option I never use, it just clutters everything up.

So that's that - nobody can make it right for everybody, and I think Sony did a quite nice job of balancing this, although their are certainly many menu options they should delete if you ask me.

12. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    If I was in charge I'd make it possible to add / remove / enable / disable options & features on your PC then sync it to your camera. Much like Harmony remotes do. Nobody like digging through menus to get what they're after.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    This would be great! But two things about that: First, the Harmony Touch, among others, isn't as customizable as I would want it - you can't completely remove the numpad on the touchscreen, for example. Second, this could be too complicated for many. But honestly, if they pre-configer it to something useful for the people who don't want to fiddle around with the PC software but still give us the option to customize it, I'd be all in for this concept. Unfortunately, I'm afraid they won't do that anytime soon ...

14. cbutton

cbutton TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    Dear Sony,

I would like the option to bracket -2, -1, even, +1, +2 (in that order), on my NEX 6.

I bought the Bracket App with hopes it would do just this. Boy, was I wrong. (I still can't figure out what good the app really is.)

Thanks.

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It's disappointing that there are hardly any apps available.

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    And the apps that are available are horribly clumsy and slow to a point where I wouldn't use them at all. Sony, if you want to sell apps (and charge money for them), please, do it right.

17. BlueBill

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    Just entering the SSID on my NEX 6 was painfully slow and very unresponsive. And yes the app store seems like an afterthought.

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Also there is no trial period.

19. Jack

Jack New to TalkEmount

Dec 1, 2013
    Dear Sony,
    Allow me to program C1 to start/stop video on my A7. (I shoot mostly video).
    Thanks

20. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Dear Sony, enable us to costumize more button on your cameras... I woul like to buy new 5r/t, but when i see, that new top dial is without any function in my favourite A mode... And when I see there is no chance to set Fn button to AF-assist... And so on... I couldn't give you my money... Sony, please, wake up!!!

Matej (sent from phone)