1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dealing with GAS

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by christian, Oct 20, 2014.

1. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    • Like Like x 5
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    pretty much on the mark imho

• Like Like x 1
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Heh nice article. But there are many different stages of GAS too ;) I have been cured of body-GAS since my A7, but now I am highly afflicted by lens GAS. I want a different crop camera for 200mm+, since I don't anticipate using a FF lens for that range. I want that lovely Zeiss 16-35/4. I want that super-useful 24-240 superzoom. I want that 28/2 (my favorite focal length on APS-C!)... The saving grace is that Sony are rolling lenses out slowly enough that I can't go and max out my credit card every month :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Ha ha, you're right!

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

5. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Well said and illustrated.

I think of myself as a short-term collector instead of having GAS. LOL!

The notion of "marry the lenses and date bodies" might not hold much longer because nowadays, lenses tend to be optimized for body+sensor combined with extensive uses of in-body/software corrections.
    Tim Ashley calls it Bisto Lens.

It will be even more so when Sony comes out with the curved sensor. We'll have smaller, lighter, custom lenses and much better sharpness uniformity. Then it's GAS all over again for many people. The chase never ends and for many, it's part of the fun.

There're millions out there who, with just phone, can take much better photos than others, including me...so while waiting for the next big ones, better go out and practice more :biggrin:

I'm really happy with Sony & Zeiss lenses so I think I'll stay put for a looonng time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Yes exactely! That's what I said in my article.

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

7. robfactory

robfactory TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    I went from an original NEX5 to an A7R. I thought I outgrew it. I was one of those who people always compliment for his eye, but always left it on auto. And I did it with 2 basic Sony NEX lenses. As soon as I got the A7R I was motivated to understand it. I knew the camera was too much for me, but that inspired me to at least try to understand it first and then master it. I'm still at the understanding phase. And every day I get to master it a bit more. I bought mine used with the 35mm, the 28-70, the Sony flash (which I don't know how to use) and a couple of adapters. Getting the adapters was what propelled me to buy old cheap lenses. As soon as I purchased the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 I fell in love and became a prime fan. This has led me in the last 2 months to purchase 2$Canon 50mm 1.4 ssc, konica 135mm f/3.2, 2x Minolta Rokkor 135mm F/2.8 & 3.5, konica 40mm f/1.8, vivitar series 1 90mm 2.5 macro, contax Zeiss G 90 f/2.8, vivitar 70-120mm macro, nikkon 50mm f2.0, Tokina 28mm 2.8. Talk about G. A. S. Lol. However, each lens I get lets me explore photography more. I have to use that lens and test it capabilities as well as mine. I've been fortunate to have gotten great deals on the second hand items.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    The only thing that prevents me to succumb to GAS is my empty wallet :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    And why is my wallet empty? ... GAS! :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    At least once it's empty you won't contract GAS for some time :)

11. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've had a little "Lens GAS" myself the past year but at least the old manual legacy Canon FD lenses don't cost an arm and a leg like modern auto-everything lenses

12. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I set a budget for the year and that's that. If there's anything else I want beyond it, I have to do some selling.

13. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    That's what I've done for the past couple years...kids up and out, recently retired, I've been purging everything accumulated in 69 years that I know in my heart I'll never use again...everything from golf clubs, to hunting rifles & shotguns, old Canon A1 camera bodies, and on and on...amazing how much stuff you can accumulate in a life time...it's completely financed my re-engagement with photography as a hobby