1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dark Side of The Moon...

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by José De Bardi, Jan 3, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Not the greatest from a technical point of view, but as I'm not a member of any astronomy forums (although maybe I will hunt one out now I've thought of it!) figure I'd pop it up here.

Was heading home, and had never seen the dark side of the Moon so... well light!
    Stopped at the side of the road and snapped this with the 55-210mm, given it a mild crop and pumped up the contrast to lose the noisy blown glare coming off the Sun lit slither...

DSC00996_zpsd2fdd06a.jpg
    ISO800, f-6.3, 3.2 seconds (I tried lower ISO but it's so DAMN windy due to the storms we have right now, even on the tripod and me holding it still the longer exposure caught too much movement!)

• Like Like x 5
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cool shot

• Like Like x 1
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Fascinating shot

• Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks guys, did a bit of research on why its so bright on the dark side tonight compared to a normal New Moon, it's where the Sun's light reflects off the Earth and back to the Moon and is known as 'Earthshine', so on the Moon it would be a 'Full Earth' :)
    It happens every New Moon, but it's particularly bright if Earth is cloud covered as they reflect more light than the land :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetshine

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I thought quite different setting should be used for moon shots, such as using base ISO (ie. ISO200), aperture of around f/11 or more, and shutter speed of 1/125 or 1/250 or so...

Nice shot though :)

6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    If the moon was lit you'd be right, if I had used the settings you suggest, only the bright slither would have been exposed correctly, the majority of the moon would have barely appeared! That's why I posted the settings as it is so unusual.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Gotcha ;)

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great info. I was gonna look that up, saved me the effort.