1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Darci

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Hawkman, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Last week, Sunday, March 1st, I posted an update on my darling dog Darci's status at that time. I noted that we briefly had Darci back home from the veterinary hospital from Friday evening, Feb. 27th, through early Sunday morning. An MRI on Thursday had shown she hada meningioma in the lower left rear of her brain. Due to its location and size (not super large, but spread out) it was not amenable to surgical removal. So she was put on a medical treatment plan of steroids to reduce swelling, anti-seizure medications (Keppra), and a chemotherapy drug (Hydroxyurea) to attack/control the tumor. They thought they had the seizures under control by Friday evening and released her to us. But Saturday afternoon, Feb. 28th, and overnight that night she had some recurring seizures - localized rather than grand mal - but enough that we rushed her back to the hospital for monitoring and increased medications for seizures so the other meds can could hopefully do their work.

Through Monday morning, March 2nd, she had had no more observable seizures while under the increased dose of seizure meds, i.e., phenobarbital and Keppra. We were still hopeful we would have her back later that day. However, as these things can go, she took a sudden turn for the worse. That afternoon, around 3pm, it was discovered that she had fluid in/on her lungs and her heart was having increasing difficulty. Jennifer immediately began to head over to the hospital, and after talking to the doctor I left work as well. But before I could get out of the office parking garage, around 3:30pm I received a call from the doctor that Darci's heart had stopped. Jennifer was able to get to the hospital in time to be with Darci in her last moments. I did not. When I arrived I was able to spend time alone with Jennifer and Darci, hold her, and say my own tearful goodbye.

Darci had a unique personality. She had attitude. She let you know who was in charge. She was… regal, as a true Shih Tzu should be. Above all though, she was loving. Aside from good food, she loved nothing more than sitting on my or Jennifer's lap on the couch as we watched TV. While she was not as energetic and playful as our other dog Katie, it was always Darci who led the way in running (or waddling-with-purpose) to greet me with her tail wagging excitedly when I returned home from work each night. She was the one who wanted to lay at my feet as I sat in the study importing my latest photos to the Mac. Darci was truly my little girl. I will miss her more than words can say, as will Jennifer.

I started this thread to have a specific place to share my favorite photos of her. And I start with one that is not from my E-mount camera as it came several years ago. It is from six years ago in a beachside hotel at Myrtle Beach, SC. I gave it the caption: “I have two words for ya… Room Service.” That's my Darci.

16589460659_5087d4e1c5_k. Two Words: Room Service by SRHawk64, on Flickr

Thank you all for your kinds words and thoughts in the past, and thank you for allowing me to indulge in a little bit of grief and nostalgia. As I know many of you understand, the loss of a dear pet or companion animal is in fact the loss of family.

I plan to post a number more photos soon with your indulgence. Thank you. And thanks most of all to Darci for all those years of love and devotion.

Attached Files:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ah man... that hurts. I've been through the loss of beloved pets, and having a 16 year-old dog in the house right now, I know that for her the days are few between now and the day you've just faced. There are no words. Just a heartfelt sigh.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sorry to hear that Hawkman...we humans really do bond with pets, especially our dogs.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Darling shot, sorry for the loss.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sorry for your loss, they are part of the family with their unique personalities...

6. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thank you for the kind thoughts and condolences.

I couldn't get Flickr to respond well earlier, so I could only post the one shot. But now that I'm at home I thought I'd post a few old shots. Some I may have posted before, but I thought I'd put 'em here too. Thanks again for allowing me to share.

13979418297_30ea191254_k. Dynamic Duo by SRHawk64, on Flickr
    This is perhaps my next favorite shot of Darci, and my favorite of Darci (on the left) AND Katie (on the right) together. From May last year. Lucked out that they both looked at me at the same time in almost the same unplanned pose. I should have adjusted the settings a bit better as the sun was going down. But the shot is still priceless to me.
    (Minolta MD 50mm f/2 (49) at f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 250)

14142897766_a941ad8608_k. In the Garden by SRHawk64, on Flickr
    Another from the same May day last year, this time of Darci in the garden looking like one of the potted flowers.
    (Minolta MD 50mm f/2 (49) at f/5.6, 1/400, ISO 100)

13209646193_629988620b_k. Darci Amidst a March 2014 Snowstorm by SRHawk64, on Flickr
    One of Darci showing her Tibetan (supposedly) Shih Tzu roots in a March snowstorm last year.
    (SEL55210, 171mm, f/6.3, 1/25, ISO 3200)

14741918623_bd2a2442cb_k. Brindle Shih-Tzu Darci stares from Brown Couch by SRHawk64, on Flickr
    Darci looks up from one of her favorite perches... our couch.
    (Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm f/1.4 @ 2, 1/125, ISO 1600)

16463502179_2703cf53d4_k. Darci Looks Up by SRHawk64, on Flickr
    One from a month ago before the seizures started. The focus is a tad off, but I love the look in my little girl's eyes... she looks like she wants to say something.
    (SEL50, f/1.8, 1/80, ISO 1600)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    My condolences Rest in Peace Darci...

8. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Back with more of Darci. She was always a good model. And she had some... interesting quirks.

This is a series of three shots showing an instance of what we called the "Darci Wail."

I took these three shots back in October '14 on our Florida Beach and Orlando trip. In this instance, we took the two dogs with us to a Florida Gulf Coast beach (Honeymoon Island, I think), and while Jennifer was off changing in a changing restroom, I was watching the dogs in the car. Darci was not liking being cooped up in a non-moving car and started grumping. When she does this, she often launches into what we called her "wail." She would launch into a long, very high-pitched and piercing... wail. Not a howl, and not a bark, but a loud scream almost. It was her way of demanding attention when she thought she was being unjustly ignored. Since there wasn't much I could do at the time to stop it, I did the natural thing... I reached for my camera and documented the "process."

16294519064_679692b8e8_h. Darci's Gonna Wail by SRHawk64, on Flickr

16890983916_beebf758d0_h. Let the Wailing Begin by SRHawk64, on Flickr

16729233748_36f1b8cd84_h. Full-On Wail! by SRHawk64, on Flickr
    (All with SEL1855, 28mm, f/4.0, 1/160, ISO 400-500)

I miss those wails now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Sorry for your loss