Dance Recital!

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by fractal, Jun 23, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Dance recital time!

Shot with NEX-7 + Minolta 200mm 2.8 wide open and manual focussing. The shots were a bit tighter than I wanted but the lens continues to impress. Lighting was not as good as last year so I was forced to shoot wide open or at f/3.2 ISO 1600,3200.
    I also had my SEL 50mm 1.8 which turned out to be a bit too wide. I felt like I was on the golf course with a 160yd shot to the green with a 7 and 5 but no 6 iron; in this case I was in need of a 135mm lens or a 70-200 2.8. The other option was to swap seats with someone about 3 rows behind me, but my wife thinks I'm crazy as it is.

DSC04115-XL.

DSC03984-XL.

DSC04553-XL.

DSC04974-XL.

DSC05524-XL.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Great shots under tough conditions Fractal !

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed, some nice ones here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That Minolta is indeed impressive. I see no aberrations, or flare, and fringing is under control, especially shooting into stage lighting.
    I think you did an excellent job! I'm sure your wife stopped thinking you're crazy once she saw the results.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's some excellent captures Chris!!! Especially considering the lighting conditions. :thumbsup:

7. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Are they done by pre-focus somewhere and wait for the dancers trap in?

8. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Using focus peaking I can actually "track" the subject and sync it's movement with the turning of the focus ring. Mind you, this is after hours and hours of practice manually shooting lots of sports and dancing.

I also use speed priority shutter. Usually there's a keeper among the cluster. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Sometimes the focus peaking doesn't show in my EVF (I set red color), I get frustrated using manual lens.

10. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Lovely set there; really well done, Chris!
    I use manual focusing almost exclusively on my NEX-7 and the Fujis. When it comes to moving subjects I get a far better keeper rate than what I used to get from using AF.

11. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Cool shots... Any tips on getting such good and fast focus while using manual focusing. Even with peaking it takes me quite some time to lock focus

12. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks! As I said above, I can "track" the subject using focus peaking; meaning I know how much and which direction to turn the focus ring to keep the focus area highlighted as the subject moves away or towards me. Stabilization does help in the form of a monopod or tripod. For action shots I use a monopod. Using shutter priority also helps - I can usually get at least one keeper in a cluster.

Practice is also important - I've logged plenty of hours doing this and am much better now than when I started.

• Like Like x 1
  13. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    I guess its the practice thing. I've started getting batter at it the more time i spend using these lenses.

Stabilizing the cam is an issue since with a VR lens you can go almost 1 stop slower in the shutter speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    An additional thought...I'm amazed that there's no 'noise' under those conditions at those high ISO settings...do you have some noise removal / reduction software?

15. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    All shot in RAW. I used the NR in Lightroom, but not much of it. The Minolta lens is truly pro-quality and I'm always surprised how little noise there is at higher ISO levels (especially w/using the NEX-7 - a camera notorious for high noise at high ISO). My Sony Zeiss 24mm is the same way; much "cleaner" files. I've become more of a believer in the "glass is more important than camera" philosophy since I've purchased those 2 lenses.

I recently shot some lacrosse pics in Jpeg just to save me some time, and they come out rather well, but the one thing I don't like with the NEX-7 JPEG rendering is the over aggressive used of Noise Reduction, especially at higher ISO's and especially with people, it starts to get too "plasticly".

I also have DXO Prime that i occasionally use for tougher NR issues. I would use DXO more but it's soooo much slower than LR ( likely because of a better algorithm).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...I'm guessing RAW is the big difference.
    My NEX-7 experience shows extreme low light JPEG noise starting at just ISO200, worse at 400, and basically unusable above that. Lightroom noise reduction on JPEGs has never been satisfactory to me. I'll look into DXO prime...

PS:
    I read up on DXO prime and all the post processing / processing time is a deal breaker for me...not worth all that hassle just for the occasional, casual low light / dark conditions wildlife shot.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Extreme low light with such a slow ISO obviously requires a very long exposure, but I find it hard to believe the image would be noisy with low ISOs if it's properly exposed. If the capture is underexposed and you boost the exposure in post processing you'll increase noise, but that's true for any sensor. Are you really seeing noise at ISO200 in the unprocessed JPEG?

18. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Lightroom/ACR usually apply a little amount of NR to most RAW files during import. If you use a different RAW converter for the NEX-7 like rawtherapee (dcraw based) you'll notice some noise even in relatively bright skies (clouds) shot at base ISO (100). Since it doesn't show up in prints I usually leave it untouched but OTOH rarely shoot the NEX-7 in other than good light and/or above base ISO where that sensor sings. For everything else I have the Fujis with their exotic but pretty effective CFAs.; especially in crap light.

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Unfortunately, that's been my experience as well...especially shooting JPEG.
    ISO100 is very good...and even 200/400 are usable in good strong light...but not in low light.
    The good news is I don't need to use high ISO for the majority of my shooting as 98% of it is in good light, or done on a tripod with slower shutters in AP mode.
    But for all its pluses, its a shame the NEX-7 ISO200/400 doesn't do better in low light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I had the same issues with noise in skies. Applying some color NR cleans it up nicely.