Damaged Pancake 16mm Lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by sevans0579, Jun 18, 2013.

1. sevans0579

sevans0579 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi

I am after some advice. I dropped my 16mm pancake lens onto a hard floor and what seemed only to be superficial damage. I connected back to the camera and the pictures are not in focus. I can here the camera trying to focus and still blurry. I tried in manual and i cannot get it to focus correctly.

I dismantled the lens to see if any damage was apparent but nothing untoward. The aperture opens up and down correctly.

is there a simple quick fix to this or you think i have damaged the lens?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as a repair would be just as much as a new lens. I need the lens for the wide angle bayonet connector

Many thanks

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The two most plausible reasons are that either the focus motor is damaged or that the lens group that's responsible for focusing is damaged / decoupled / whatever. Repairing the lens might only be worth it if the focus motor is the problem, and even then I don't know how much such a fix would cost. Sony charges €180 just to clean the sensor of a NEX-camera, so I won't ask how much they actually charge for a procedure that takes more than 30 seconds ...

3. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I dropped an sel 18-200 once, put a small dent in the lens barrel near the mount. I sent it to the Sony repair center in Texas and they replaced the lens barrel and checked the alignment of the elements. There was no charge. I don't know if they made a mistake but I was really surprised. In the case of your 16mm f 2.8, that lens can be purchased so cheaply now it doesn't really pay to do anything about it. I would just write it off and get a new one.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    If you have to pay to get it fixed, I would not.

The 16mm is really cheap, sold mine for about $65.00.

5. sevans0579

Mar 22, 2013
    Many thanks for the advice, think I will have to buy a new one, must have been the focus motor, bit odd though as it won't even focus manually correctly ?

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It focuses manually by wire, which means turning the focus ring activates the focus motor, not the focusing lens group directly.

7. sevans0579

Mar 22, 2013
    I see, that would explain it being the focus motor, many thanks!

8. Cody

Cody New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
  9. lowbone

Oct 21, 2012
    I paid $100 on ebay for a new 16mm a few months ago. The 16mm was included as part of a kit with the NEX 5 ( I think ) They were separating the kits and selling the lens separately. Allot of sellers had them. Check ebay and see if they are still doing that deal. Even if that deal does not exist anymore Sony probably charges close to $200 just to look at it. Canon charges $180, Sony is probably in that ball park. I suppose you could send the lens in to the Laredo repair center and see what they say. If they want allot of money tell them to keep the lens, or you could try an independent repair shop. There are a few good once in the Illinois and New England area. It could be an easy repair. The problem is they all have pretty high minimum charge to go into the lens and see what's going on.

10. lowbone

Oct 21, 2012
    I just looked at ebay. there was a new one there for $103. Several for $125 to $150. It looks like they have gone up a little bit but if you are patient you could probably get a new one in the $100 area. There is a chance that all you did was disconnect an electrical connection, the secret is finding someone to figure it out without breaking the bank. Good luck.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^This is a little harsh wouldn't you agree?

12. Cody

Cody New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    I guess you're right, they didn't show up for int. shipping and when they do its $50 putting them back to the price of a new one :-/

It's frustrating to me to hear of constant cheap prices on gear but never being able to find them for myself.

Ignore me. I'm suffering depression and its hard to control. Sorry.