• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Customised dial settings on Sony A 7 III

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
At the moment I use dial positions 1 and 2 as "Defaults" for what I want in general. Nothing specific. Aperture priority, f/1.4 etc.
I can detail more if you are interested.

I noticed that when I change the parameters like for example, exposure compensation and / or f/5.6 and / or focus mode even if I switch off the camera, the settings are kept. Great.
The camera remembers my last changes until I rotate the dial to 2 and back to 1, which means I am again to my "default" settings whichever they are.

Did I explain myself correctly ?

---            

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now it will not be about the dial but about the customisation in general

Nobody seemed to care about this but here I am again

The Fn button is customised as shown, so far.
From left to right the settings are:

i-73j2dv6-L.jpg
Apple    iPhone 6s back camera 4.15mm f/2.2    4mm    f/2.2    1/35s    ISO 160

1 - Drive Mode
2 - Focus Mode
3 - Focus Area
4 - Metering Mode
5 - ISO AUTO Min. SS
6 - Silent Shooting
7 - Live View Display
8 - Peaking Display
9 - Face/Eye Prty in AF
10 -
11 -
12 - Prioritise Rec. Media

So far, so good. More tomorrow. :)

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Nobody likely responded to the initial post because there wasn't any issue with its operation. It performed as expected.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Do people disable "live view" for studio/flash work? I cannot think of a single time I have wanted to turn it off, but I do not do those kind of photos.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Nobody likely responded to the initial post because there wasn't any issue with its operation. It performed as expected.
My point is to show what I do/learn and be able to grow learning from other people's experiences.
Thank you for replying ! :)
-
Do people disable "live view" for studio/flash work? I cannot think of a single time I have wanted to turn it off, but I do not do those kind of photos.
Bob, that may be indeed an important feature to use.
Thank you for your contribution. :)

I don't do studio work, but I almost always use manual-focus lenses and I habitually underexpose by 1 stop to protect highlights. In that scenario the influence of the setting on AF performance is irrelevant and I opt for Live View off because I want a brighter image and peaking works better; often enough I don't see enough of the peaking specks when the image is dark.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I similarly use manual focus lenses and often underexpose, but compensate with a brighter evf/lcd setting. I am not sure the setting affects AF, though, but I get why you are doing it. I've largely moved away from focus peaking in favor of magnification, and have been experimenting with zebras a little bit.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I most often use live view when working with studio flash because I often work in a room lit only by the modeling lights of the flash. That makes it easy, IMO, to see the live view on either my A7iii or my APSC format cameras since there is no ambient light to reflect on my LCD. However, I do find it easier to use live view with my A7iii than with the APSC format cameras because of the larger LCD...

When shooting in a studio setting, the entire exposure is lit by the flash - the modeling light doesn't contribute to that exposure. Hence, the very fast exposure time of the studio flash will freeze any camera shake. Thus, giving up the three point hold (two hands + against my forehead using the EVF) will not impact the image quality due to a tiny bit of camera shake.

However, the camera doesn't know that I am using off camera flash and the LCD Live View will look underexposed on the LCD even if I have the correct exposure selected. The solution to this is to select LIVE VIEW DISPLAY > SETTING EFFECT OFF. This will allow me to view a brighter image in Live View. However, it will not give me a WYSIWYG view. I will need to review the results of the exposure in order to see what image the flash has provided...

I have this LIVE VIEW DISPLAY > SETTING EFFECT OFF entered into MY MENU settings but, I would expect that I could set up a custom button for this parameter and or include it in my Fn menu... I need to reselect SETTING EFFECT ON before I begin shooting in other venues...

BTW: The Eye-AF capabilities of the more recent Sony cameras combined with AFC makes it a snap to use Live View to frame my shots because the focus will lock in on the eye/eyes of my subject and hold the focus despite camera/subject movement! Additionally, I have a bit more flexibility in framing my shot when using Live View since. using the LCD, I can shoot from a higher or lower angle without needing to bend over or get on a stool or ladder. This can be important for an old man like me!

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
I am slow in CC ! :doh: More than 2 hours work !
Please correct me if anything wrong. Feel free to copy, link and so on if you consider this chart to be useful. Thank you. :whistling:

i-5fw3wGH-X2.jpg
Canon EOS 5D    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM    60mm    f/3.5    1/250s    ISO 400

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Antonio...
Good and helpful chart...
IMO, setting up any Sony mirrorless camera depends on two factors:
1. What you want the selections to be. As an example, if you never shoot with off camera flash, it would be a waste of time and effort to prepare the camera menus so you can easily select SETTING EFFECT ON/OFF and would make the selections more complicated.
2. Once you decide which settings would be helpful for your shooting style and the parameters in which you shoot - the next thing is how to set up the camera to select the shooting parameters you want. I use both MY MENU and the Fn MENU quite a bit rather than designating a customizable button - because I often forget which button I have set up to control which parameters:hmmm: Using the Fn Menu or MY MENU is a tiny bit slower than having buttons customized for parameters but, it is easier for me; since at my age, I often need to look at my driver's license to remember my name:doh:
It takes a while and some experience with the cameras to make the menu work for you but, once you do; IMO the menu becomes quite quick and easy to use:th_salute:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Thank you Richard for your lines. :thumbsup:
You are right about both points.
Let's wait if more people comment on this and read their reaction. :cautious:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The Sony cameras are very customizable, My aim in setting up the Fn and MY MENU selections is to need use the entire menu as seldom as possible.

I have the Fn Menu set up as follows on my A7iii - Most selections are self-explanatory; however I have added explanations for some selections which may be mostly for my way of shooting...

UPPER LEVEL
1. Drive mode
2. Focus mode
3. Focus area
4. Exposure compensation
5. ISO (I change the ISO quite often)
6. Metering mode (I often use highlight metering when shooting white dogs)
LOWER LEVEL
1. Flash mode
2. Flash exposure compensation
3. Live view display (I often shoot with studio or off camera flash)
4. Touch Operation
5. Face-Eye Priority (when I shoot a scene in which faces are not present or in which they are not important I switch Face-Eye Priority off)
6. Subject detection (I am frequently switching from human to animal)

The nice thing is that these selections can easily be changed if I find that there are some menu items that I need more often than others... However, until I do decide to change them, these selections are available whenever I select Fn.

One of the parameters that I always set into MY MENU is to FORMAT the SD card. I also have a selection on MY MENU to change my custom key settings.

I almost always shoot with auto white balance and always shoot in RAW so I don't need to include these parameters in either the Fn or MY MENU selections. For the very few times that I shoot in other than RAW alone, it is easy enough to go into the main menu settings.

I program the Focus Lock button on a Sony lens for AF-On which gives the same functionality as back button focus but, is easier for me...

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Richard please, before I answer, tell me what is the function you have assigned to the Control Wheel.
When you turn it, what happens ?
i-zjxVrTn-S.png
   ---            

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
When I am shooting - everything has been left in the default...
Turning the wheel adjusts the shutter speed. Pressing the top of the wheel changes the display. Pressing the left side of the wheel sets drive mode (default, I have not changed this) pressing the right side of the wheel adjusts the ISO (also the default setting), Pressing the bottom allows for exposure compensation
When I am reviewing pressing either the right and left of the dial as well as turning the dial cycles through the review images. But pressing the bottom of the dial shows thumbnails of the images.
Like in Photoshop, there are always several ways of accomplishing anything...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Here is an excellent guide to the A7iii - better than the Sony User Guide.
It is the Sony Help Guide for the A7iii - https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1720/v1/en/index.html

I am beginning to suspect that my problem learning how to use the Touch Shutter operation is because that selection on the A7iii only has an on and off. However, using the A6600; you can select TOUCH FOCUS - TOUCH SHUTTER - TOUCH TRACKING.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Richard, thank you for the link which in fact, I was pointing to, in the second post of this thread.
But this document does't give some answers to questions and options about customisation like the one I want to post here but I couldn't because I have been busy.
I am keeping in mind this thread to post what I think is a good way to use the rotating Control Wheel.
Later on.
Thank you for reminding this thread. You don't forget things that fast Richard... :)
Cheers ! :)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
When you push the right side of the Control Wheel the default setting is ISO.
i-Tnc2Djp-S.png
   ---            
Then, you will see a bar with the vertical values
   ---            

But, if you customize the wheel as shown below, while rotating it the values of Speed and Aperture change accordingly to the chosen ISO.
This works in Manual | Speed | Aperture | Program modes

What do you think ?

i-H6nHHTD-X2.jpg
Canon EOS 5D    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM    60mm    f/3.5    1/250s    ISO 400

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Customization is one of the great things about Sony's and it seems to get better with every iteration. Once set up, I think most of us find we seldom need to use the menus. There is no one "right" way to set it up, it is whatever works for you.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I agree with Bob's comment. When I first began using Sony cameras, the menu setup was confusing because, I really didn't know how I liked the camera set up. After considerable use of APSC cameras and more limited use of the A7iii camera; both types of cameras are pretty well set up the way like them and need them.
Now, using the Sony mirrorless gear seems quite easy.
Basically, the A6400, A6600 and A7iii are pretty similar but, there are some differences which confused me at first.
I have all three cameras pretty well set up the same way regarding the various menus...

Top Bottom