1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Custom White Balance ERROR

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by TedG954, Jul 27, 2015.

1. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I have tried to set the custom WB on my NEX3N several different ways. I continually get the White Balance Error message as a result. It appears that the WB adapts to the custom setting, but it still shows error.

I have Googled and searched, but haven't found a solution. I also did a factory reset of the camera. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? A solution? Thanks.

2. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    What's the light source you are trying to calibrate to? Do you get the error outdoors or under incandescent light?

On my NEX6 I often get a WB error message when I try to calibrate with LED light sources. But it does change the WB setting and usually it ends up looking pretty good. I think the message is telling you that the WB setting is at its limit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    I'm setting the WB with outdoor grass or sky, but I'm getting the error with any source.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Unless I'm mistaken, you need to set the WB with some sort of neutral target (from white to dark grey). Any colored surface such as grass or sky won't work. I have an old Pringle's lid sitting around my office (somewhere) that I can just hold over the front of the lens just for that purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    You are correct, but with IR it's different. And I tried a neutral color with the result. Thanks.

6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    This is for IR photography? You didn't mention that in your OP.
    Woodworks is correct that WB must be calibrated on an object with pure grey tone for conventional photography. White works too, but it's easier to saturate the sensor and get an erroneous reading.
    Alternatively, get an Expodisc or one of its cheaper clones, then point the lens directly at the light source for calibration. (Although I'm not sure if the Expodisc works for IR.)
    Another approach is to shoot RAW and correct the WB later.

I learned a little more here:
    http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-p...red-shooting-techniques-setting-white-balance

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1