Curious ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bobbill, Dec 30, 2017.

1. bobbill

bobbill TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2017
    Okay, adapters are all about distance tween flange and plane...sensor and I get that...

for putting a Zuiko half frame lens on a A6---etc Sony, with no vingetting as image circle covers sensor...

But, what about using a Canon LTM lens with thinnest possible adapter...it is a screw mount...to get close... etc?

Been looking at Canon and Nikkor lenses...and the thought floated forth...

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Pretty sure adapters are made for brand / model specific lenses aren't they?
    For example, I use all Canon FD lenses on NEX-7 bodies.
    My adapters are specifically made as FD>NEX.
    Wouldn't you look for a Canon LTM>A6?

3. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    I understand...wondered; being a LTM screw-mount thinnest so any to fit Sony adapter???. NO pins etc, so should handle. the TLM are plain. Reason is curiosity...these lenses are double size of the 1.8 Zuikos but might be more appropriate for me? I have little knowledge of these thinks and asked.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Not sure what you’re asking there, bobbill. If you’re asking if there are adapters for mounting LTM lenses to Sony E-mount cameras, then yes, there are plenty, and they are thin. I use one for my Canon 135mm LTM lens, and bought it years ago off eBay to use with an old Russian Jupiter lens (which I’ve since sold).

If that’s not what you’re asking, then please clue us in.

5. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Sort of mixed-up, I guess.

I was wondering....since most LTM screw mount 96 are the same, if I wanted to use old Canon LTM lens, say 1.4, 50mm, would I be remiss to assume, because it is a screw mount, that any LTM to E-mount determined by thinness, would work. I am beginning to see...one side has to be E-mount compatable, so I suppose how thin is immaterial.

I am new to all this...old BW film shooter gone digital with a-6300 and tickled I can use all these old Canon and Nikkors and Zuiko lens once more, easily.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You would not be remiss. All E-mount adapters for LTM lenses should work with any LTM lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Wikipedia actually has a pretty good chart with the flange distances for many mounts. Sony E-mount is 18mm. You have to allow for a few millimeters at least for the adapter itself, so anything longer than that can be adapted. 18mm is relatively short, which is why we can adapt so many mounts to E-mount. The catch is that with a lot of adapters, they have no electronics pass-through, so you do not get electronic control or EXIF data embedded in the photo. This includes autofocus control, so you may have to focus manually. Some of us prefer manual focus anyway. If you are willing to spend more money, you can get adapters with on-board electronics that intercept signals between camera and lens and make things work as they were designed. The ultimate example may be the TechArt Pro, which will let you add autofocus to manual focus LM lenses (with a few limitations mostly related to weight and focus mechanisms). Or the MC-11 which makes Canon EF glass almost like a Sony-native lens. Fun stuff.

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia

8. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Wood Works and bdbits, thanks...will look the Wiki site specs. I just want to use the smallest practical adapter for the LTM Canon...the measurements will prove valuable.

The little Zuiko works so slick...and I know the full frame Canon will be almost twice larger...why I want to use smallest adapter possible.

I have the Sony 1.8 and a Sigma 19mm but with the peaking and focus assists on the E, I really do not need them, save for speed/snaps...looks very kewl to be able to use all these lenses I more or less relegated to the shelf...thanks again.

9. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
  10. newst

newst TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Every LTM to E adapter that gives you infinity focus will be the same size, camera mount face to lens mount face. That's how the optics work. Now, if you want close up focusing, LTM lenses wouldn't be your best bet as normals generally had a MFD of about a meter and short teles about 2 to 2.5 meters. To get close in with those older rangefinder lenses you need a specialized close focusing adapter with a helicoid built in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Whether a camera system uses a thread or a bayonet to attach a lens to the body, is immaterial regarding maintaining a register distance between a particular body and lens.
    LTM still has to maintain a set distance to achieve infinity focus and be compatible with all LTM mounts. Just because it's a thread, doesn't mean you can thread it down to the base of the E-mount. You've brought the rear objective lens element too close to focus beyond a particular distance. You definitely can't achieve infinity focus for sure. All the lens elements are precisely spaced in order to yield a sharp image. You just altered the required spacing between lens and focal plane, so the lens will not be able to focus. Hope that makes some sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Catmurphy

Catmurphy TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 23, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Cathy Murphy
    • Like Like x 2
  13. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  14. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    OK, show of hands: how many of us with one or more shelves of various old lenses have worked on getting adapters and have tried them all on our Sony E mount? My hand is up. Just click "agree" if your hand is up too.

There is something fascinating to me to be able to put a lens designed with slide rules and log tables onto these little image capture - image processing computers...

bobbill, welcome to the group

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks, Chalkdust...reminds me when

In last couple hours, decided to retire one lens...the (old) Canon 50mm LTM...put back in shoebox and have concluded, these screw mounts are the better choice for suing old Canon lenses, for ease of use...

Best I not "go off" and stick with the Nikkors and couple old FL and FD Canons I had from late 60s, adapted now...and the wee 38mm Zuiko I recently bought on a whim...this bunch should keep me going for a bit, after all, cannot take them all out at once...and I usually only take one or two lenses in car...still I am into using these beauties again. Resurrections!

16. Catmurphy

Oct 23, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Cathy Murphy
    I was thrilled to be able to use the first lens I owned, from the 70's, a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, on my Sony. Currently acquiring adapters to utilize lenses that I have bought since then.

17. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Likewise, I have sort of got hung up on Fotasy...first one did not lock lens, so got another...worked fine. See fine for money and less complicated than Fotodiox product, which are fine, but a hair trickier, as I found out with Nikkors. Not a biggie, thought. It is fun to resurrect these hand assembled beauties, indeed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    CatMurphy, it is a kick...even putting back an old lens that was resurrected...I just did that and smiled...the old range-finder LTM...gave up on it with the FD and Nikkors so handy. All the best, time to swill.

19. Catmurphy

Oct 23, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Cathy Murphy
    And you can get really good manual focus results with Sony's focus assist.

• Agree Agree x 2