Curious about EVF

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by claude, Apr 25, 2013.

1. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    On Amazon they have one for 249.00 but it says for nex 5N. Would it also be ok for 5R. Is it the same as the one on the Sony website. Not sure if I want one or upgrade to a nex6 or 7. The sun reflections is very tough to deal with sometimes.
    Thanks for any feedback.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's only one external EVF for NEX cameras so it would work on the 5R just fine. :)

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    At this price it makes more sense to get a used Nex 6. I wish there was a third party one.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, wish they were a bit cheaper.

5. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    well let me tell you it works perfect, I got mine at a good price and I'm not feel bad for the money, these last days I'm using a lot, cause the weather is changing, very sunny, you need the EVF, so it works very well.
    DSC02266.

6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Yeah for $140 or so I'd be tempted to get one but over $200 it's outrageous.

7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I got one for $229 from Amazon. So far I am not as blown away by it as I expected, but I haven't really had a chance to use it yet either. Some issues - the eyecup is too short, overall the EVF doesn't protrude enough behind the camera body to snugly put it against the eye; looking at display at an angle creates distortion; sometimes it's just easier to hand hold the camera P&S style, probably because of the small size of the body; it seems to really eat up the battery, good thing I have 3 of them ;). OTOH I haven't tried it yet with a MF lens outside on a sunny day, this could really make a big difference. So far looks like a keeper. (I am glad F3 has a built in flash, if I had to continually swap flash and EVF I'd give up).

Two questions to those who have it... (1) Sony says to not store camera in the bag with EVF attached, which could be a PITA. I understand that they are concerned with any kind of side impact which would probably destroy the contact; I also understand a lot of people do this anyway, any bad experiences ? (2) is there a replacement eye cup that fits and is a bit longer. If EVF stuck out by just an extra 1/4" it would be more comfortable to use.

8. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I had the EVF with my 5R and now i have the 6. I really did like the EVF...and I really liked that it swings up and down so it was very useful taking certain pics and various angles. I however didn't like the fact that it protrudes out like it does when mounted. I always had to take it off when carrying the camera in a bag, for the fear of it getting snagged or something and breaking off.

9. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I'm really considering one now that the weather is finally starting to break here and I'm hiking almost every weekend. But the price being more than half of what I paid for my 5N ($430, back in Nov), is the thing that backs me off of it.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Are you a Gear Gorilla, or are you kind to your gear? Sony says not to put the camera in your bag with the EVF attached because Gear Gorillas break them. People who are kind to their gear can put their cam/EVF in their bag for 18 months without issue. ;)

You could try a telescope rubber eyepiece slipped over the EVF. That might give you the standoff you seek. Try tilting the EVF up a bit and hold the camera lower than you would a DSLR. It's actually more stable that way because of the small body, at least for me it is.

Re: cost. I paid full price for mine and wouls do so again. I find it that useful. Less expensive would be nice, but to me it's worth every penny. YMMV :)

11. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I take care of my gear, but I don't obsess over it. I should remember to take EVF off for travel, I guess.

12. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I used to be very careful about removing it when putting in a bag, but after I got a slightly more roomy one I stopped caring :p

The articulation is something that is hard to give up if you appreciate it ... partly why I never moved to the NEX-6 (the other reason being the touchscreen).

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm in that boat with ya! :)