1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cropping to the max...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by bmg123, Apr 2, 2013.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Just a few random shots in my garden from today; I don't yet have a large telephoto lens and as such I shot with a Helios 44mm, the longest I have. In Lightroom these have been cropped to hell and back, but I still think they hold a certain quality in some ways. Would you sacrifice pixels in this way?

This first one I found quite funny after grading, the aesthetic reminded me of that 1920s silent film style somehow.

I know they're far from the best photos, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the cropping.

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    That's the beauty of the 7. ;)

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, I wouldn't 'sacrifice pixels' in this way. I don't crop - as long as it doesn't help me to get to my artistic vision. If it does, cropping square, 16:9 or something like that is okay for me - just not for zooming. Hell, I even stretched some photos because I wanted them to be wider without loosing pixels, so cropping and all these things: artistically yes, technically no.

4. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Yeah I was surprised how much of a difference 24.3 megapixels makes!

One more from today, much less extreme crop:

8615943893_45a96b2aa8_c.

5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I Like that one :)

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The only thing to consider when cropping an image is content. Does cropping aid the viewer in seeing what you had in mind when you took the shot?

You can find lots of info on the net about the golden ratio and how it applies to both image size and content. And while studies do show that we find certain ratios more "pleasing" to the eye than others, it's not a hard and fast rule - They can and should be broken.

So cropping something to a different ratio just to be different, or because that's where your object is, doesn't help much. It's still about content. The last picture you gave is certainly wider than the golden rectangle dictates, but that's okay - The crop gives a panoramic feel to the image. What gets me is the bird is facing the wrong way for such a tight crop. I don't need to see all of where he's been, I want to see where he's going! If the bird was in the same location, but facing left instead of right, I think that would be an awesome picture.