1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Crop vs Full Frame...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NickCyprus, Sep 3, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  2. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Unfortunately it seems to be a prevailing misconception. Not so much with the crop sensor thing, but a lot of people also believe that DSLRs must be better than a NEX because their bigger, bulkier and simply look more in line with what a professional 'should' have. As soon as a full-frame NEX with decent video capabilities comes out I won't have need for another camera (at least for stills), but I'm sure someone would still believe their bulky DSLR is better because it's simply bigger!

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Meh - sounds like the client was an airhead and would have probably been annoying to work with. :rolleyes:

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    [sigh]

It's a waste of keyboard strokes, so I won't bother.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    A good example where a little information can be detrimental.

It sounds better doesn't it? Full vs Crop. Full Frame sounds better than Medium Format too.

It would be nice if people judged based on results, then I wouldn't have to shave and wear ties and socks to work.

6. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    You shave to go to work? :D I'm a slob . . . I shave when I feel like it, or for important things like a daughter's wedding. But I do wear socks, even around the house. Yeah, yeah, TMI. :D

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    This reminds me of a shooting I had a few weeks back. I came there with my NEX-5 and Zeiss lenses, and as soon as they saw my camera, one came to me and asked me if I had forgot my 'good camera' at home. I told him no, so he asked whether he should lend me his Canon 500D (with kit lens, of course). Oh snap.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Good one. I wonder how many know your Zeiss lenses cost more than their "real" cameras?

9. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Why just "full frame?"

Now that we know from Kirk Tuck that Sony is moving to medium format (see below), why should our ambitions stop at "full frame?"

Meanwhile, Sony has taken an alternate route in producing their medium format offering (available mid-summer 2013). Working with various scientific adhesives they have bound together nine of the Nex-7 sensors and have devised a way to stitch high resolution images from the grid of sensors, capable of firing at 15 fps, to generate a 200 megapixel file. Says Buckeroo Rinzai, chief development engineer for mondo-big Sony products, "We had many of these sensors sitting around the office since consumers seem to dismiss both high resolution and high color purity, much preferring high ISO performance at any costs.

"We decided to kill two cranes with one origami project and used our advanced joining materials to create a "sensor collage" capable of amazing imaging potential. Using a bonding material known as Haute Glu bolstered with an anchoring material known in the trade as Du Uct Taape we are able to hold the prototype in any orientation without fear that one or more of the individual sensor apparati will dislodge and effect the overall quality of the image."

If you want to look this up on Tuck's site, you'll find it in his April posts (the 1st, I think).

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well yeah, I'll definitely go Medium Format at some point. Not the next couple of years though.

PS: Bill, I love the line "[...] since consumers seem to dismiss both high resolution and high color purity, much preferring high ISO performance at any costs.". That's how it is, unfortunately.

11. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    The image does not care where it comes from, what was used or even how hard it was to get it, it simply exists. Its either a good one, or its not.

IMO anyway.

Danny.

12. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    :)