Crop Sensors vs Full Frame :: Crop Or Cr@p?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dragion, Sep 26, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Viewed this Youtube's not Sony related, but I found this very interesting and sort of funny...

Any thoughts...?
    • Like Like x 5
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    While I don't agree that the differences/specs etc between FF and APS-C is "negligible", I do agree with his final point: that what's more important is the photographer behind the camera :thumbup:
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    great find! Made a boring technical discussion very entertaining.

Yes, as Nick says - the best part was about cameras not being able to "see".
  4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Best moments IMO start at 9:00 and exceptional at 9:45. Brilliant :)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    The video is well-trodden ground, but I agree with everything he said. And though I'm thoroughly enjoying shooting full-frame, I look forward to the day when my cell phone camera can deliver the kind of dynamic range and high-ISO images that my A7 can.
  6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Honestly, sensor advancements are at a point that once you get to m4/3s, the differences are hard to spot. Light, lens, subject and photographer have more of an affect on your pictures than sensor.
    That said, dynamic range on sensors smaller than 4/3s are no where near large sensors. This is probably a bigger factor than ISO ability. I don't know about everyone else, but even cell phone pictures I love are obvious cell phone pictures.
  7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Why are camera sensors like olives?

Times they do change. I agree with what Zach has to say. But the question has changed a bit, from "why" to "why not." An A7 is about the same price as an Olympus EM-1. It's also smaller in most dimensions.

Last April I wrote this on my blog:

"Bigger" "Better" "New and Improved" "Dolphin Safe," "Fast acting" "You're worth it"

There's a lot in names and claims. So, here's a riddle: Why are camera sensors like olives?

Answer: Because the naming conventions for both are unhelpful. In olives, "extra jumbo" is smaller than "giant," and "super colossal" is smaller than "mammoth." And in camera sensors, "full" format is smaller than "medium" format.

And it's not about the first DSLR. In 1991, Kodak offered the first commercially available DSLR: The Kodak Digital Camera System (DCS). The Kodak sensor was installed into a Nikon F3, and it was 1.3mp and SMALLER than 36x24.

When I did 35mm film photography in my youth, we never called it "full frame." There was nothing full about it. Truth be told, I always lusted after a Hasselblad 500C. And, by any measure, the 120 film for the Hasselblad was "fuller" than 35mm film. And 4x5 was fuller yet.

When digital sensors came to photography, they were first shoehorned into the film cameras of the day. That's fair enough, because so many of the available lenses had been designed for the 35mm format.

And that made sense until 2003, when Olympus produced cameras specifically designed for digital — the Four-Thirds system. And of course that morphed into the Micro Four Thirds system (same sensor size, but shorter lens flange distance).

I believe that the term "full frame" was lifted from movie film, where 35mm film made use of the full frame of the film gate. Interestingly, the size of that frame is not 36x24mm. The "Super 35" format is 18.66x24.89mm (almost exactly the size of APS-C).

So what's so full about full frame? Not too much.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Legacy lens compatibility (i.e. abolishing the "crop factor") has been a big deal for me.

If I wasn't so in to old manual lenses (mostly wide to normal), full frame might not be quite so alluring. In fact, if I wanted to be using mostly new dedicated lenses, I'd be giving Fuji X-mount or M4/3 a much closer look.
  9. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Same here. I love using my legacy glass on the A7...which I probably wouldn't have given a second thought if I hadn't already been using a Canon 5D for the same purpose.