1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Creating a personal lens database, well trying to start one...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sam, Mar 22, 2018.

1. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    now, I know most of us have had GAS attacks at some point in time. I have seen some photos of the lens collections some of you have acquired over time.
    I like lenses and other camera accessories and DIY.
    My latest DIY project, to try and create a database of all my lenses. Not a very large one at this point, but it's worth creating, as the collection grows.
    Looking for ideas, or if you already have this project under your belt, can you share?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to hearing you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    If you're experienced with a little bit of programming, you can create your own relational database with free mysql. Lot's of online tutorials, and you'll probably get the basics in one day.

If that's more than what you need, a simple Excel spreadsheet is excellent for keeping track of your inventory of any gear. You can even tally up the total cost....but that may get you in trouble with your wife and shock you how much you've spent! :D 

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That sounds like a terrible idea! :eek-30:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I think I actually started one at one time. Used Excel since I was using it at work a lot.
    I wonder if I still have it?
    It was a couple of computers ago so tracking it down will probably not be easy.

I know I have a list of all my stuff for insurance purposes. It's in Word though.

5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I do databases for a living, but I use my aging copy of Excel on the home computer for stuff like this. It's quick and easy.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I made a database in Microsoft Access, I can share it if people are interested. It's fairly basic but it works. Making a database in Excel is just a little less slicker, but I've done for other things like my radio listening logs which works just fine.

7. Yes, very important to do. I take all my lenses and shoot them wide open and down to f5.6. I wrote down what the deal is for them and can refer to it when I use the lenses. Some do poorly or just fair wide open.

8. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I used a simple spreadsheet for mine. You're not really doing anything all that difficult so just about any spreadsheet will work fine. I've used both Excel and Apple's Numbers (I like the way Numbers handles graphics better) to do a personal lens database.

9. leemik

leemik TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    • Wow Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    That is some data base you've got there leemik.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Very cool!

12. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    ok, my dream database, but as was previuosly posted, you might be tempted to add up the cost of GAS.

13. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    I was originally leaning towards Excel, so I may start with that, and then graduate to mysql, as I have just started reading up on that.

Thank you all for your input.

14. leemik

leemik TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    Thank you! it took me about 2-3 weeks to create the site.. and a lifetime to enter the data (but that's the fun part).. There are many admin screens and reports you can't see as well.. Reports breaking down how much I spent and where and what over time.. It's how I control my GAS.. If I think I spent enough that year I stop and wait for a new year :D .

I think KEH has some kind of pilot community website that called "Shutterlife" that does what my site does:
    A community for Camera Enthusiasts - Shutterlife by KEH

--mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.