1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Craigs list score...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Sep 10, 2016.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I just did a deal from C-list.
    Got a fairly nice FM2 w/Nikkor 50mm f1.2 for $100!
    I'm so stoked!
    Can't believe it didn't sell sooner. The guy said he had people that wanted to buy just the lens, but, he sold the whole kit to me since I wanted the camera too.
    Can't wait to put it on the A7ii.

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    IMG_1402.JPG

Yahooo!

• Like Like x 5
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Highway robbery!

great lens. I just sold one for a friend for $300.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    What a steal! I guess you can easily sell the FM2 for $100.

5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    There are 'other' things I'll let go of first before the FM2, Ad. I've wanted a fully mechanical Nikon for some time now. Finding this combo at this price is priceless to me now that I'm on a fixed income.
    My wife can't understand why I'm still bouncing off the walls about this.

DSC06224 (Large).JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Tell her it's like finding $100 bills on the ground. ;)

7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I would, but she'd just tell me she can't spend them when I find them like this.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Are you sure the camera isn't stolen? That's a crazy price! The 50mm 1.2 AI-S alone sells for 3-4 times that much! Plus the two tone FM2 is so sweet! What a score!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Jonathan - That was a concern I had until I met the guy. Family guy with kids in the mini-van, going to Target. He said it was his dad's camera and it was the one he used to get into photography as a kid. He was impressed I knew how to open it up and check it using the B speed to hold the shutter open. He's got other lenses listed but I'm outa money right now, not that I need any more lenses (just ask my wife!).
    Yes, it's one of the sweetest deals I've made so far. Still can't believe it happened.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    That's how most of my finds have been - people coming across what they consider a "bunch of old junk" & wanting to get rid of it ASAP.

The best one was that middle-aged lady with four lenses (including Minolta MC 50/1.4, Minolta MD 28/2.8, MD 50/1.7 and 70-210/4) who wanted $20 for it all. I honestly told her it was worth more & she said she'd been trying to sell it for a few months and just wanted it gone.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    That's just nuts. Did he know he could sell that combo for more money? Man, I love the FM2 and that 50mm 1.2 while not the sharpest, is still pretty sweet!

If you can't tell by my signature, I do love me some Nikon MF glass! :D;)

12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm pretty sure he knew what he had. Don't really know why he wanted to get rid of it though. He said he was shooting with a D5300 if I recall correctly. I wasn't going to argue with him or turn him down. I couldn't spot any fungus and the speeds on the camera sounded good so I gave him a crisp $100 bill and said Thank you very much!
    I'm hoping I can learn where the 1.2 shines best a make the most of it. I have mostly Nikon glass too, but got my A7ii so I could enjoy all the good glass I inherited. I can't afford film so this is the best solution I could come up with.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, one final update to this thread.
    Today I went to the local camera store and got some batteries for the FM2.
    The clerk pretty much confirmed that I got a really good deal once he looked over the whole shebang.
    He put in the batteries and checked it out. It worked but the meter needs some exercising with the aperture ring.
    He suggested I use 400 ASA film to check it out as it'd be more sensitive to light leaks than 100 ASA would.
    I need to clean the rear element of the lens too.
    All in all I'm still on a high from this purchase.
    The camera may not see a lot of use, but the lens will, you can count on that.
    Thanks for letting me share this thrill with you all.

• Like Like x 4