Cosina Voigtlander lens cap replacement

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bimjo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    As everybody knows I have a CV rangefinder lens or three. The lenses come with lovely metal push-on lens caps that work perfectly. Unfortunately they are somewhat spendy for what they are (not as bad as a Leica cap though!).

I live in constant fear of either losing or damaging one of them. So, I started looking for a replacement lens cap. The CV screw mount lenses use a short hood that is not threaded at the front. It is ribbed though, so I wondered if a center-pinch cap would work. Looked like it would, but what size?

The push-on cap is a 43mm, so obviously it needs to be samller than that, but how much smaller? I picked up a 40.5mm center-pinch cap to test for fit. Well, it works! Hurrah!

lens_cap01.

lens_cap02.

lens_cap03.

This particular cap was more expensive than I wanted, so I hit ebay and found some Chinese caps for less than $1.50 each. So now I have cheap caps that are easier to use than the original and it's no big deal if I lose one. And those stock caps can stay in the box in case i ever want to sell a lens. :cool:

2. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Another good reason to leave the fancy push on caps in the box: They scratch pretty easily. I have the habit of throwing the cap in my pocket when I'm using the lens, and between my keys, loose change, etc., my CV35 cap is a mess, and it's only 4 months old. They also have a knack of picking up every piece of lint or whatever is in your pocket. And yes, a replacement lens cap for my Leica 50mm was in fact $39.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good points, I forgot about scratches and lint. And if you aren't careful it's also pretty easy to "wipe" the cap off the lens as you move around.