1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cosina Voigtlander lens cap replacement

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bimjo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    As everybody knows I have a CV rangefinder lens or three. The lenses come with lovely metal push-on lens caps that work perfectly. Unfortunately they are somewhat spendy for what they are (not as bad as a Leica cap though!).

I live in constant fear of either losing or damaging one of them. So, I started looking for a replacement lens cap. The CV screw mount lenses use a short hood that is not threaded at the front. It is ribbed though, so I wondered if a center-pinch cap would work. Looked like it would, but what size?

The push-on cap is a 43mm, so obviously it needs to be samller than that, but how much smaller? I picked up a 40.5mm center-pinch cap to test for fit. Well, it works! Hurrah!

lens_cap01.

lens_cap02.

lens_cap03.

This particular cap was more expensive than I wanted, so I hit ebay and found some Chinese caps for less than $1.50 each. So now I have cheap caps that are easier to use than the original and it's no big deal if I lose one. And those stock caps can stay in the box in case i ever want to sell a lens. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Another good reason to leave the fancy push on caps in the box: They scratch pretty easily. I have the habit of throwing the cap in my pocket when I'm using the lens, and between my keys, loose change, etc., my CV35 cap is a mess, and it's only 4 months old. They also have a knack of picking up every piece of lint or whatever is in your pocket. And yes, a replacement lens cap for my Leica 50mm was in fact $39.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good points, I forgot about scratches and lint. And if you aren't careful it's also pretty easy to "wipe" the cap off the lens as you move around.