1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Copyright storage space?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by slothead, Mar 20, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    As a new Sony Alpha owner (and really in love with them), I haven't been able to find a setting in the menu system that allows me to input my copyright data. Maybe there isn't such an option with Sony Alphas.

As a Nikon guy this has been a standard operation every January with every Nikon I have owned (I've probably owned about a dozen of them). When I acquired a new Nikon I would input m y name and then every new year I would update the year for the copyright data in the camera. I can't seem to find a place in the Sony setup to put my name and date for copyright info. How do I find it? Or does it not exist?

• Like Like x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've never seen such a thing in a Sony camera. If you use Lightroom, you can automatically apply copyright info when you import your files.

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Interesting! I will miss it (while I own it, I don't use LR). I guess there is room for improvement.

4. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I used to have Sony a77 which has copyright input feature. After that, I no longer see it on any other cameras.

5. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    In addition to Lightroom I think there are other programs that offer option to add or amend file metadata include EXIF data. Since I use Lightroom I'm not sure what others are available but have seen the capability mentioned in a variety of threads on various fora.

6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Yes there are loads of exif editors, but why make more work for yourself? Sony obviously thinks that anyone who uses an a6000 is not a serious photographer if they don't include the standard copyright data space that Canon, Nikon and Olympus do.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  7. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    True enough.
    One reason I use Lightroom is to be able to embed more detailed information. One loophole in the US Copyright Law is that if someone finds an image on the internet, makes a reasonable attempt to contact the copyright holder and can't then they are free to use the image without infringement. So, just having your name in an EXIF field is likely to not be sufficient. I have my website in the Lightroom metadata which has a contact form.

I got this information informally, not from an attorney but it seems accurate based on what I've read on the US government site.

8. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    That's an excellent point David. The easiest correction to that is to embed a phone number along with (or instead of) a name in the photo data, but you are correct in that LR or other exif editors could certainly help. I'll have to look and see exactly how much space is in my Nikon and Oly registers for that info.

(I was going to ask if that was case or tort law, so you answered that question too.)

9. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Please do some research. As I said this is my recollecting from reading I've done a couple of years ago. I don't like phone numbers in those fields, or addresses, if the image is going on a website where it can be "lifted" by someone.
    The website with contact form should satisfy the requirement without putting too much private info on the 'net. I suppose an email address would work too.

10. zulfur666

zulfur666 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
    Agreed, not sure why Sony does not include that info, could also easily be added as a Firmware upgrade, here are my complaints coming from Oly mu43 system:

there are things I dislike about the Sony (are you listening)....
    no copyright info input in camera... however can be done when importing the images into LR. Just if you email or post the jpg's right away (Like the Sony App) you have no copyright info in your image exif files.

the app Sony Smart remote control leave a lot to be desired.... aka GPS does not work to be transferred back to the camera images RAW files or jpg like on Olympus...
    No big deal can be done in LR afterwards with a gpx file....