1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cooper's Hawk

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Sep 26, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Cooper’s Hawk missed a bird in flight, then landed on top of this feeder.

CAPTION: “Wondering why the birds aren’t coming back”

Canon FDn 300/4.0-L, NEX-7

• Like Like x 9
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Excellent!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    One of your better pictures :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Happened to have the Canon FDn300/4.0-L on the NEX-7 when the opportunity presented itself...they don't stick around so there was no time to change lenses and it just barely fit in the 300's FOV.
    ISO400 + HIGH ISO-NR, knew I had to stop down to at least 5.6 for enough DoF because it was so close to the 300, and shutter ended up only being 1/30. Got off 3 shots and it was gone.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Regal!

• Like Like x 1
  6. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Bill, I have a tough time telling hawks apart, but I think I saw one of these in our yard recently.

Hawkman, Since you are in my area (MD/VA) where would one find the hawk migration nearby?
    I seem to recall hearing about a mountainside where the hawks seem to congregate (or at least 'swarm') during migration periods. Does that sound familiar to you?

7. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Tom, I'm afraid to admit I don't have an answer for you w/r/t where to find the best site for spotting hawk migration. I do recall that there is supposed to be a spot on the southern Jersey shore or near Ocean City, MD where hawks regularly migrate through in the fall, but I don't remember the precise location.
    While my "handle" here is Hawkman, and I do admire and have an affinity for hawks, my handle has more to do with my name than any expertise in the field of raptors.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    What a beauty!

• Agree Agree x 1