• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

coolness

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I wanted to discuss how people prefer to carry their cameras.

I just recently bought a screw-in connector similar to this.
ring.jpg
   ---            

It attaches to my strap like this.
IMAG0311.jpg
   ---            

And I carry it like this
IMG_4437.JPG
   ---            

IMG_4439.JPG
   ---            

So how do you carry your camera?

tdekany

TalkEmount Rookie
Cool!

I have a new g3 and while I haven't had a chance to take it out much due to weather, I carry it in my hand. Still too careful with it. :)

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
I use a wrist-strap on my NEX when I'm carrying it around out of my camera bag.

I didnt want to use a wrist-strap that had a thin connector like this one as it may damage the strap hoop of the camera as all the camera's weight wont be evenly distributed.
camera_wrist_strap_320.jpg
   ---            

I found this strap in eBay instead
1.jpg
   ---            

It's very comfortable to use and made extremely well (no that isnt my camera, but it looks essentially the same except my camera is black)

jebuskrust

TalkEmount Regular
For some reasons I dont trust "key rings" and not to mention the so think wrist-strap.......... They seem too fragile for my precious piece

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
For some reasons I dont trust "key rings" and not to mention the so think wrist-strap.......... They seem too fragile for my precious piece

There's a good chance that your wrist would break before a quality split ring failed. :) And Nylon is pretty tough stuff. I went a slightly different route. I used paracord to make a loop with two double overhand knots that will slide to make the loop larger/smaller. That is attached to a split ring which is attached to the camera. If I enlarge the loop I can use it as a wrist strap, otherwise it gets used like a hand strap.

Looks like this.
camera_loop.jpg
PENTAX K20D    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di    50mm    f/2.8    1/15s    ISO 100

I've got some triangle split rings somewhere, when I find them I'll replace the round ring and redo the loop in a different color. I may end up putting a bead on it for wrist strap use, but I haven't decided yet. I detest around-the-neck straps. The camera is either in my hand or in the bag. The only exception is when I'm using my Cotton Carrier with my Pentax K20.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
not bad

I use a wrist-strap on my NEX when I'm carrying it around out of my camera bag.

I didnt want to use a wrist-strap that had a thin connector like this one as it may damage the strap hoop of the camera as all the camera's weight wont be evenly distributed.
View attachment 469

I found this strap in eBay instead
View attachment 468

It's very comfortable to use and made extremely well (no that isnt my camera, but it looks essentially the same except my camera is black)

Looks a lot better, much more sturdy.

I personally don't like wrist straps because you can't put it down. Hard to eat BBQ when you have a camera in one hand. However to each there own. The most important thing is to feel comfortable.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
There's a good chance that your wrist would break before a quality split ring failed. :) And Nylon is pretty tough stuff. I went a slightly different route. I used paracord to make a loop with two double overhand knots that will slide to make the loop larger/smaller. That is attached to a split ring which is attached to the camera. If I enlarge the loop I can use it as a wrist strap, otherwise it gets used like a hand strap.

Looks like this.
camera_loop.jpg
PENTAX K20D    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di    50mm    f/2.8    1/15s    ISO 100

I've got some triangle split rings somewhere, when I find them I'll replace the round ring and redo the loop in a different color. I may end up putting a bead on it for wrist strap use, but I haven't decided yet. I detest around-the-neck straps. The camera is either in my hand or in the bag. The only exception is when I'm using my Cotton Carrier with my Pentax K20.

Another nice example.

olli

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
olli
Wrist strap for my LX3, wrapped round my hand so I can hold the camera steady and tight and shoot one handed. For my NEX a neck strap (currently the one that came with the camera.) I prefer a neck strap since it adds another layer of stability when shooting - hold the camera out, or down, with the strap fully extended and pressing against the back of your neck and you get a little extra stability, especially for low shutter speeds or in windy conditions.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Wrist strap for my LX3, wrapped round my hand so I can hold the camera steady and tight and shoot one handed. For my NEX a neck strap (currently the one that came with the camera.) I prefer a neck strap since it adds another layer of stability when shooting - hold the camera out, or down, with the strap fully extended and pressing against the back of your neck and you get a little extra stability, especially for low shutter speeds or in windy conditions.

Hey I do that with my strap as well. Makes for just a bit more stabilization.

Bobcat

TalkEmount Rookie
I have a small wrist strap like Phoenix's, or if I want to keep it clean when hiking through brush/timber I carry it in a small Lowepro bag, or if I am out walking on open trails I might throw it on a Black Rapid sling strap. I got one of their sport straps which is wayyyyy overkill for the NEX system, but I like that it doesn't swing around as much on it as a regular Black Rapid.

Bimjo, I like your handmade strap.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Thanks. It's simple, but it works. I probably won't ever use it as a wrist strap but the option is there.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
mine

I have a small wrist strap like Phoenix's, or if I want to keep it clean when hiking through brush/timber I carry it in a small Lowepro bag, or if I am out walking on open trails I might throw it on a Black Rapid sling strap. I got one of their sport straps which is wayyyyy overkill for the NEX system, but I like that it doesn't swing around as much on it as a regular Black Rapid.

Bimjo, I like your handmade strap.

I have two options for more rugged all day carry.

IMAG0034.jpg
   ---            

IMAG0035.jpg
   ---            

IMAG0040.jpg
   ---            

IMAG0037.jpg
   ---            

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Another nice example.

Well, my wife pointed out that since I actually sell stuff I make with paracord I should probably put something a bit nicer on the 5N. So I cobbled this together last night. It's the prototype, mine will probably be black. Or Neon (Yellow/Orange/Pink/Green- pick one), who knows? It"s actually pretty comfortable because there's no sharp edge, the whole thing is tubular.

cam_leash01.jpg
NEX-5N    E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    34mm    f/5.0    1/60s    ISO 640

cam_leash02.jpg
NEX-5N    E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    33mm    f/5.0    1/60s    ISO 800

I'm also working on a neckstrap that will only get used when I change lenses and there's no handy flat surface nearby. Clip the camera on, change lenses, back on the wrist strap. We'll see how that works out. :cool:

hodad66

Sony Guru
Real Name
John
My tendency is toward telephoto and many of them are legacy &
fast... therefor heavy. So most of the time the NEX 7 will be in
a bag of some size. The Pany GH2 I may hang from a tripod
screw and a strap with say the Pany 14-140....

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well, my wife pointed out that since I actually sell stuff I make with paracord I should probably put something a bit nicer on the 5N. So I cobbled this together last night. It's the prototype, mine will probably be black. Or Neon (Yellow/Orange/Pink/Green- pick one), who knows? It"s actually pretty comfortable because there's no sharp edge, the whole thing is tubular.

I'm also working on a neckstrap that will only get used when I change lenses and there's no handy flat surface nearby. Clip the camera on, change lenses, back on the wrist strap. We'll see how that works out. :cool:

Nice!

Please post a pic of the neckstrap too when finished...

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
As requested, the prototype neckstrap. It uses the same Snake knot as the wrist strap, which provides a rounded profile against your neck instead of a flatter profile with edges that could dig into your neck.

This actually started out as a alternative to the regular zipper stitch neck lanyard I make for security/id badges, thus the barrel safety release and the parachute clip w/detachable keyring.
cam_leash03.jpg
PENTAX K20D    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di    28mm    f/2.8    1/20s    ISO 100

I added a S-Biner to allow fast attachment/removal. For an actual camera neckstrap I'd probably delete the safety release and the parachute clip and just go with the S-Biner. I use a JTEC L-Bracket on the cam as a tripod mount. It has a slot on the vertical leg to attach a leash and I used that for a short piece of gutted paracord with a snap on cord end that has a glow-in-the-dark insert.

The S-Biner snaps over the gutted paracord and the camera hangs on the neckstrap from the L-bracket.
cam_leash04.jpg
PENTAX K20D    TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di    63mm    f/2.8    1/20s    ISO 100

I went with the cord end vs. a parachute clip for size. I may pick up some ⅜" parachute clips and use those instead, putting the female end on the camera. It's still up in the air as I'm still in the prototype stage. The advantage of using a parachute clip would be the ability to use a leash from the camera to a tripod in case the clamp were to fail. I could also use a parachute clip on the wrist strap so you could switch between the neckstrap and wrist strap it I wanted just one attachment point.

Anyway, there it is. :)

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
That looks amazing, I wish I could make something like that. Im limited to whats available from sellers.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
And I carry it like this
IMG_4437.JPG
   ---            

mate, that's a good idea, I prefer to hang on the neck, so you could help me and tell how to get this cover for nex5n screen, looks great

Latest threads

Top Bottom