• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Cool Leather baseplate with Arca Swiss mount for A7RIV.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
With both my A7III and A7RIII I bought a 1/2 leather case and used a Peak Design hand strap, a combo I really like. But when I wanted to mount on a tripod I had to add a base plate. For my new A7RIV, I saw a 1/2 leather case with Arca Swiss groves cut into the base plate. Had not seen this before. It is a very solid plate, though it does add some weight, and has a cutout for the battery door. It came with a leather strap, I like the PD one much better, and a removable L bracket of black aluminum that mounts into the side with 2 smaller screws and supplied wrench. It has a big cutout, so the port covers are not blocked.

Got it at Amazon for $40, made by a company called BolinUS. It is made for the A9 and A7RIV and shipped from NY, I received it 12 days after order.

(and yes, I black sharpie my SONY nameplate on my camera)

IMG_1774.jpg
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/33s    ISO 400
IMG_1777.jpg
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/30s    ISO 400
IMG_1780.jpg
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/40s    ISO 400

Last edited:

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I don't usually put grips on my camera's so bare with me here (OK, I'm ignorant, what can I say?).
How does this grip actually mount on the camera and how is the leather attached to the plate?

In both types, with and without a Arca base plate, the grip screws into the cameras tripod socket.

This is the grip that fit my A7III/RIII and did not have a Arca base plate. The brass screw has a threaded hole so you could still mount the grip to a tripod, plus it had a hinging door to cover the battery compartment. There is a full metal plate on the bottom except for the cutout.

IMG_1729.jpg
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/43s    ISO 320

In the new grip for the A7RIV/A9 with the Arca base plate, there is a thin metal cover between the leather at the inside of the case and the open slots in the frame. Note on the new grip, they added a 2nd threaded hole in the grip frame for mounting to a tripod. As far as how the leather is secured to the metal plates, I am sure it is glued.

IMG_1782.JPG
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/30s    ISO 640

IMG_1781.JPG
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/15s    ISO 800

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom