• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Continuos focus - all the time?

Jason Povall

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Jase
Hi guys ,

I'm new here and to the Sony Nex cameras. Treated myself to a 5R at xmas and am very happy with it , but... I've noticed that with any AF lens attached its autofocusing all the time , even though its in AF-S mode.

Is this normal?

- Jase

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
My 5N is only on continuous focus when in SCN Sports Mode and on Video (or if I touch the screen for focus tracking). Other than that, it will only focus when I depress the shutter halfway down, even if the camera is switched on.

I haven't looked in the Settings menu if this is user definable on the 5N, might differ on the 5R anyway... so that's where I would look. And welcome to the forum, Jase.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Ok, are we talking tracking an moving object, or the camera refocusing when you move the camera to a new scene? Because my 5N will focus on whatever the central focus point is pointed at. If the object moves out of the focus point the camera will refocus on whatever is within the focus point with no action on my part.

With continuous focus the camera will track a moving object across the screen without you having to move the camera, right?

The first situation is default, normal and cannot be turned off for an autofocus lens used in AF mode. The second situation can be turned on/off and is defaulted to off except in the conditions Dioptrick noted.

Or am I all screwed up? (not beyond the realm of possibility) I think Jason was speaking of the first situation.

applemint

TalkEmount Veteran
My Nex 5 focuses all the time with an AF lens on AF-S mode. As does my Sony A37 - on the A37 I turn the camera off between shots when walking around with it as the AF can be very noisy and if you have a lens with a long minimum focus distance and are carrying the camera in your hand pointing at the ground it will constantly judder and stutter as it tries and fails to find focus. Some of the old Minolta AF lenses are particularly noisy. :) If there is a away to turn it off I haven't found it - only other option on the A37 is to flick the AF-MF switch on the camera to MF.

Jason Povall

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Jase
Because my 5N will focus on whatever the central focus point is pointed at. If the object moves out of the focus point the camera will refocus on whatever is within the focus point with no action on my part.

Yep this is what I meant. Its new to me , none of my other cameras do this ( non nex ). Thinking about it , its quite a good idea really , almost like a "pre-focus" , camera thinks "He's pointing at that object , I'll pre-empt him pressing the shutter button to focus on it.."

Bet it saps the battery though! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

- Jase

xiabachao

New to TalkEmount
Hi guys! I'm a newbie to NEX and I have the same problem with my NEX F3 + SEL 18-55, that it continous focus without my pressing any button at all. First, I guested this was the normal function of this type of camera. But some of my friends who use the NEX F3 saids that they have no this problem. They all need the depress and half-hold the shot button to focus.
I did try to change the focus modes and focus areas in A shoot mode but it still as it.
Please anyone can tell me what to do?

Tabibito

TalkEmount Regular
This pre-focusing is normal with NEX cameras. It happens all the time on my NEX-5N.

Tabibito

TalkEmount Regular
Nope. The only way to turn it off is by switching to manual focus. I guess it's Sony's trick to lower the camera's focusing time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom