1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Contax G AF adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by qvreeke, Mar 4, 2013.

1. qvreeke

qvreeke TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 30, 2011
    I have a couple Contax G lenses, 28, 35, and 90. As of yesterday DEO TECH made available for pre-order a beta version of there newly created NEX adapter with Auto Focus. I have not seen any posts here on this subject and was wondering what people thought about this new adapter. I really like Contax G lenses but the existing adapters leave a little to be desired as far as smooth operation. Sorry if this has been covered already on this form I did not see any reference to it.
    [video=youtube;L7AdhlxAkNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L7AdhlxAkNU[/video]
    They had 60 for pre-order but are sold out.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for linking that to talknex. I guess we'll see how the adapter will perform. So far only reports are coming from Chinese forum and they said the af takes 1 to 3 sec with 90mm is the slowest. It shows in the video also some hunting like the slr lenses do. Mirrorless lenses designed to do this much faster with lighter elements. However g lenses are very high quality and it will be very good if the af works. Manual focusing adapters for g lenses are not the best compared to m/slr lenses.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I agree serhan, even slow AF is probably better than what you get with the MF adapters. I've never seen anybody say they enjoyed using manual focus with a G lens on a NEX. So, slow AF really probably isn't an issue since you aren't really able to focus quickly using manual focus anyway.

4. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I saw a conversation about these on another forum. I'm using a Kipon that I've had for a couple of years. I seem to have a reasonable one in that the focus ring turns reasonably smoothly albeit a bit slow and I'll probably just stick with this one.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I've never used an adapter with my Contax G lenses & they autofocus just fine...;)

6. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  7. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Update from DEO Tech website on the tests:
    DEO TECH CONTAX G to SONY NEX AF Adapter, DEO-TECH

Excellent - Under sunlight, AF complete within 2 sec
    Good - Under sunlight, AF complete within 3-4 sec
    Fair - Under sunlight, focus hunting, need more time to focus
    Poor - Under sunlight, apreture too small, focus hunting and may cannot AF
    N/A - Not available

8. VaughnA

VaughnA TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    While it isn't as smooth as a 'normal' lens I don't have a problem with the photodiox that I use currently. BUT I've got one of the AF adapters on order. I made it in before they ran out of reservations on the initial run. I love my G's.

9. qvreeke

Aug 30, 2011
  10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm looking forward to your review when you get this adapter. Not that I'm going to run out and buy any G lenses, but there are many who already have them and will be very interested. ;)

11. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Translation from CONTAX G-NEX AF mount R & D Review - ± | Sony / KM / M the SLR / the DSLM Forum - color film loudly -

For a long time, mainly devoted themselves to solve several problems appear in the testing process.
    1. battery power drain: this has been resolved, reduced to zero run electricity, because the previous shutdown did not cut off the power of the bayonet.
    2. the focusing speed has been significantly improved, but still can not eliminate every Abdulla bellows, pull the bellows action very quickly.
    3. crashes, from my test situation has been resolved by improving the transmission and the wiring of the circuit board.

Mail prior to maintenance test ring, he will mold dozen plastic parts out, replace it with a new plastic pieces returning the test version of the mount is not installed on the new circuit boards, including a manual focus part, so dead battery with power drain and speed will be greatly improved.

The official version of the mount in the production of the work at the same pace, and April is sure to get listed.

I guess new release date is in April. Maybe sb can translate better:)

12. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The focus tests for 28, 35, 45, 90mm lenses were uploaded (from same link above):
    (In two weeks 21mm will be added)

28mm
    [video=youtube;2ZCmjzwg6V0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZCmjzwg6V0[/video]

35mm
    [video=youtube;6Tz9Yx7ruKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tz9Yx7ruKo[/video]

45mm
    [video=youtube;_uGMyLDlp1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGMyLDlp1s[/video]

90mm
    [video=youtube;xC_fWkEj2Ls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC_fWkEj2Ls[/video]

Preorders will be shipped by April 20. New orders will start on April 12.

13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Finally, they start shipping! Hyped posting from mxcamera:

14. qvreeke

Aug 30, 2011
    Still waiting

Well I'm order No. 40 and still no adapter. No word either as to when it will really ship. A couple of false shipping notices but still no adapter in sight. Oh well I'll just keep waiting. :confused:

15. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Finally I got an answer similar to the previous replies that I saw:

Shipping notice sent 2.5 weeks ago so this is the standard e-mail that they sent before. I thought all the problems are already resolved per their post last week in Xitek. I guess we cannot do anything but wait. At least they can post product/shipping updates in ther website. This is not very professionally done compared to eg Speed Booster release, which was shipped even earlier w/ 2 day air shipping. MXcamera is supposed to start shipping 2nd release by the end of May...

16. mxcamera

mxcamera New to TalkEmount

May 9, 2013
    Hi, because of some technical problem, it make 2 weeks delay.
    We start shipment last week, all EMS Express order was done last week.
    And now we are sending the adapter to pre-order user, 1st-16th orders were shipped last week.
    We are so sorry about the delay, hope you accept our apology.
    Thank you so much.

17. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome to talknex and thanks for more detailed update.

18. qvreeke

Aug 30, 2011
    The adapter arrived

The Contax G AF adapter arrived last Thursday. It's very well made and looks very nice. Lenses mount onto the adapter much easier than other adapters I have used. Even the 28mm lens locks into place, never did on my other adapters. Lenses also come off very nicely. I was on my way to a high school art show so I took the NEX7 and Contax G 35mm lens with me. Auto focusing seems to be very accurate I was indoors so shooting f2 and f2.8. It seemed to work very well not the fastest or silent by any means but it was a pleasure to take shots of the art work and never having to manually focus. The next day played with it some more and noticed that the 35 works at 2, 2.8, and 4 with no problems. At 5.6 my success rate was about 50%. I don't think it focused at any smaller aperture. The 90mm lens worked better. It was successful up to f8 and at times f11. The 28mm would work at times at 2.8 but nothing after that. The nice thing about this adapter is how nicely the manual focus ring works. It's very smooth and a joy to use. I think this is a nice adapter just need to now it's limitations.

19. qvreeke

Aug 30, 2011
  20. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the update and interesting images. Mine also works with 35, 45 & 90mm lenses similarly. It would be interesting to compare these old g lenses to the new Touit series:) 45mm g was the second best lens in old photodo tests:

Contax

Grade: 3.9 35mm/AF Contax G Hologon 16/8
    Grade: 4.3 35mm/AF Contax G Biogon 21/2,8
    Grade: 4.2 35mm/AF Contax G Biogon 28/2,8
    Grade: 4.1 35mm/AF Contax G Planar 35/2,0
    Grade: 4.7 35mm/AF Contax G Planar 45/2,0
    Grade: 4.4 35mm/AF Contax G Sonnar 90/2,8

ref: http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~loui/lenses