1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Contax G Adapter: Photodiox vs. Megabones vs. Techart III Questions

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rdfisch, Nov 27, 2015.

1. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I apologize for all the questions in this post and thank you in advance for anyone willing to spend the time to help me make an intelligent decision.

I just bought a Contax G 90mm and I need to choose an adapter (for now on my a6000, hopefully one day an A7rII ).

Ordinarily, I enjoy MF so was thinking of a MF adapter, but I read a post that mentioned he never heard of anyone enjoying MF on a Contax G ... I presume because of the fly-by-wire implementation.

Q1) Is fly-by-wire focusing with Contax G lenses really that annoying ?

This concern is why the Fotodiox and Metabones adapters with a mechanical focus ring makes perfect sense to me, but reviews of both claim they don't have a good feel with the Fotodiox binding and being called "barely usable" (Amazon customer review) and the Metabones described as "cannot focus accurately: very sloppy movements. very poor internal parts and designs. crudely made (B&H customer review).

Q2) Does anyone have a Fotodiox or Metabones adapter they would comment on, esp. the feel of the focus ring ?

Q3) Do the really cheap (sub $30) adapaters have a switch to activate the FBW for manual focusing ? If not, how do they focus ?
    ---------------
    I would consider springing for the Techart III adapter, but I have a few concerns.

Q4) Is the Techart III adapter compatible with the a6000 ? Various ads from different sources list the A7 line as compatible as well as older NEX models, but don't list the a6000. I am wondering if this is an oversight or if there is some problem with the aNxxx line. I've contacted a few of the sources w/o response.

Q5) Is the Techart III build quality acceptable ? Most scary is one reviewer on Amazon who claimed it "fell apart" while attached to his A7 and was lucky the parts didn't cause damage inside. After examining the innards of the adapter he came to the conclusion "it isn't designed to survive even to most limited use". I am wondering if the version II model might be built any better (since AF speed isn't a huge issue for me, I wouldn't have a problem with that).

Maybe I worry too much about negative posts and they are just "sour grapes".

Thanks again for putting up with this long post, and mod's, if it more properly belongs in accessories feel free to move it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  2. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I can only answer Q3 using a cheaper ULATA adapter. It is similar in design to the Metabones but lighter (aluminium) and cheaper (around 50 € on Ebay). It has no switch - once clicked in position it has the mechanical connection for manual focusing - and you release it by pushing a button.
    Personally it operates fine for me and manual focus works well with my Contax G 90mm, no "sloppy" movements or other complaints.
    (I have a bit more expensive and more compact Kipon adapter on the way that I plan to use with the Contax G 45mm, so can tell you about experiences with that one later).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I bought the mf adapters initially and have not used them much esp after getting the techart 3 adapter. It has slower af with the older gen cameras but it worked for me. I have not updated the firmware to see the new faster af w/ A7R II... The mf adapters were OK, one was very big/heavy which made the combo big and the focus was not smooth as older mf/rf lenses... I would go with the af adapter esp you can upgrade the firmware when you upgrade your current camera and get a faster af...

4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

You really, really should!