1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Contax g 45mm f2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by serhan, Aug 30, 2014.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Testing the new mark 3 deotech contax g af adapter w/ Contax g 45mm f2 wide open on A7R:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

M3 adapter is faster, so af is not bad either esp considering the small size contax g lenses. Mark I was working w/ nex-6, but short-circuited the A7R.

• Like Like x 12
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Lovely!

• Like Like x 1
  3. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    W Nex 6, 1.5x crop helps to get closer:
    9327093323_b93375e9db_o.

• Like Like x 6
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great cat and lens

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Late to the party, but the results are gorgeous. Helps to have such beautiful cats as subjects!

6. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thank you very much. I like it a lot as it is small as m43 lenses and is great on even 36MP A7R. A few more from last couple months:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

• Like Like x 7
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, excellent !!! :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

What's your opinion of the AF for the deotech adapter?

I've been eying this lens for years now, but haven't been able to bring myself to pick up one. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't grab a copy of the 90mm f/2.8 back when you could buy them for $150.

9. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Still the Contax g lenses are the cheapest Zeiss glasses one can buy. The adapter is faster and more accurate then the prev version but still af speed is not comparable to the native lenses. I think af speed is similar to RX1 so it is not that bad, eg not for action shots but usu enough for daily use. It makes a lot of noise when it focuses, but that is due to the screw mount lens design. There is no direct manual focus switch. Usually when you push the half shutter and then turn the wheel, the manual focus works. The mf is supported by the af motor so it is much smoother then using any contax g mf adapter. So it is a mixed bag but the lenses are sharp and small. Here is a video of the af adapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn75Ega35WY

35mm and 45mm are at same size and here is a comparison to other 35mm Zeiss lenses:
    Loxia_3520_Products-44-of-65.

Contax g 45mm vs Oly 45mm
    p1140676.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. MAubrey

Thanks! That's excellent info.

The 45mm and the 90mm are definitely in my future for 2015.

11. Wayneb

Wayneb New to TalkEmount

Nov 27, 2014
    So. California
    Wayne
    Thanks for the review on the AF adapter, these things should keep improving as the chips used to translate information back and forth between the lens and camera gets faster in the future. Now I want to add the Contax G 45mm to my list of lenses.

12. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The lenses are fully manual lenses like leica m. The adapter has the af adapter in itself, so it is not only the chip like other adapters. The chips might get faster but the motor also needs to be faster and this might be a design limit since there is a small knob behind the lens to turn the whole lens and the mf/af adapters use that. Maybe if the adapter talks with sensor pdaf it might cut the hunting that comes with cdaf system. I'll check if nex-6 pdaf works with it. I didn't use Contax g cameras, but the youtube af videos show them at similar speeds.

From what I read original adapter started from a hobbyist. He had one version for m lenses also... The latest adapter has the option to update the firmwares but I haven't tried it. Also Sony needs the keep the mounts standard eg ver II adapter which was working on nex 6, and shortcircuited the A7R's since the adapter was loose in the A7R mount...

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Nice! Thanks for all the input! :)

14. MAubrey

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  15. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Good:) I also ended up even with the original Contarex 50mm planar version with 30cm mfd but af w/ 45mm is nice.

16. MAubrey

• Like Like x 3
  17. MAubrey

The new firmware for the Deotech adapter for the A7rII is a game changer. AF is now nearly perfect for the 45mm & 90mm lenses.

22168018322_f9dbf288d2_h.
    BMW 2002
    by Mike Aubrey, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  18. MAubrey

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Some mixed old shots:

original.

original.

original.

original.

• Like Like x 8
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    OK, I'd frame that last one, serhan. That's pretty near perfect. :bravo-009:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1