1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Considering a migration to E mount only

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by DigitalD, Apr 27, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Greetings all. I thought I would engage the community about something I have been thinking about more and more lately. A complete migration to Sony E mount cameras. Let me give you some background.

I love the M43 system and have a few pretty expensive lenses for it. Quality vs Price vs Size is really hard to beat. Ive done some paid gigs (2 weddings, several portrait sessions) with it and the A7 and they've both done great. I also love the M43 for the size and portability as I have come accustomed to having the choice on how big of a rig I want to bring with me at any time. But I really love shooting with the A7. For the past year, if there was one camera I reach for the most, its the A7. However I still want a secondary camera that is smaller and more compact for the 'everything else' category such as family stuff, vacationing, around town, etc.

However because Im invested into 2 systems I have excess gear, more specifically, lenses that are not seeing as much daylight as they should. I guess Im feeling a bit split and thus not getting what I really want out of either of my investments. I don't have any AF lenses for the A7 and I am ready to remedy that.

My thought/plan/concept is to sell all the m43 gear and stick to Sony E mount only. I would supplement the A7 with the rapidly price dropping a6000. Selling my kit would afford me this lens lineup:

The New 28mm 2.0 FE
    35mm 2.8 FE
    55mm 1.8 FE
    New 85mm 1.8 Baitis FE
    The kit lens with the a6000 for a little more versatility in the small form factor.
    Maybe the 50-200 APS-C lens to replace my Olympus 40-150mm (the cheap one) as I rarely shoot this FL these days.

After all that it still leaves me about $800 in the kitty More if I don't get the 50-200. Down the line I might supplement with the 16-35 FE or if we finally get a 135mm FE fast prime Ill go for that.

This kit has everything I use the most. I am assuming I can use the FE lenses on the a6000 with no problems (comments?) so the 28 and the 35 would be shared the most with the a6000 as it covers most of my go-to focal lengths in APS-C. Plus they are small enough to not bog down the camera. The larger size lenses (55mm and 85mm) go against the grain for me as far as portability goes but they would also be used for portrait sessions where for me size does not matter as much. Plus the 55 doesn't feel that big to me anymore as I have been shooting with my FD 100mm f2 lens a lot lately and that thing is a tank of a lens.

All in all, this feels right to me but I wanted to ask the community here who may have done the same jump that might have some advice on the subject. I am hesitant to post this in the M43 forum as they seem to be a bit sensitive when it comes to threads about leaving their system.

Any advice/comments appreciated. Thanks!

2. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 17, 2015
    I'm still new to all this so please take this with a grain of salt. My understanding is that the FE lens will work fine on the A6000. In addition, if you put an E lens on the A7, it will work as well. By default it will automatically go into crop mode, but I believe that is a setting in the menu system, so theoretically you could use an E mount with the A7, use the same filter, and get vignetting on the edges out of the camera.

Also, when you say 50-200, do you mean the 55-210 kit lens? If so, you can get $200 off of it if you buy it as part of the A6000 bundle at the moment (I just ordered an A6000 with the 16-50PZ and 55-210 this morning with a combined $400 instant rebate this morning.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Oh yes the 55-210 is correct. I know the rebates are ridiculous right now! Definitely a new a6000 coming, but I will be happy with the current one for cheap. ;)

4. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah, I had already sold my gear and was waiting for the new one to see if I wanted it or the a6000, but the rebates were too good to pass up. Basically got the crop size 35 F1.8 for free.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    The 35/2.8 FE is not a well regarded lens. I am not impressed with the 55-210 either, but if you don't use it, then it's no big deal. AF is a little slower than m43, and weaker in poor light. Flash options (if that's important to you) are limited. I'm currently carrying both systems, but with near zero lens overlap. I find they have different strengths (e-mount vs. m43)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I only have room and the budget for one system at a time.

Just remember all of your 4/3 lenses can easily convert to the E-Mount if that makes it easier.

7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Sounds like a plan. I have mostly switched from M43 to the A7ii except the EM1 + 42.5 still gets a fair amount of use.

My goal with my camera is to know it so well I can almost use it unconsciously and I think having 2 systems makes that difficult. If you had been an Olympus shooter I would certainly have recommended that you upgrade to the A7ii. It has a much more EMx feel about it -ergonomics, and shooting - the ibis would be useful with your prime collection (again it is similar to Oly ibis). But I see you are a GX7 user, so maybe that isnt of interest.

I dont think the flash options are really anymore limited than with M43. There are some proprietary, rather expensive Sony flashes that give optical off camera TTL and HSS a bit like the Oly/Panny flashes. Nissin will be bring out a wireless triggered TTL/HSS Sony compatible flash system in the summer. The yongnuo 560 system is popular as in M43 for off camera manual flash and there is also the Nissin i40 (where there is a M43 version too).

Surprised to hear the negative comment on the 35 2.8 - I thought it was pretty well regarded - I certainly like it. The drawbacks to the system are 1) the lens prices (but I am sure you know that) 2) the size of the zooms (compare the 70-200f4 to the 35-100f2.8 (although the 16-35 is a big upgrade on the 7-14) and 3) battery life (although it is pretty similar to the EM1 4) lack of minimum shutter speed for auto iso.

As you are sensitive to lens sizes, I think it fair to point out that the FE system isnt producing any miracles in terms of the size of full frame lenses. The 90 2.8 macro is very large compared to the 60 2.8 for M43, the A mount 135 f1.8 which I have is a huge heavy lens compared to the 75 1.8 (M43) or your other shorter focal length FE lenses. You will certainly mitigate this with the A6000 (ie the 85 1.8 will become a 135 equivalent and you could buy a Touit macro for that matter.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    2015 marks the end of my first, digital decade. My digital start in 2005 was with the capable Panasonic FZ5 — a 5mp superzoom. Then on to my first camera with RAW, the Panasonic LX3.

I went to m4/3 because of the GF1, and later to the G3.

I got into large format printing, so I left m4/3 for the NEX-7, and now the A7II.

I decided on the A7 series because it's small enough to be my "everywhere and only" camera. If it hadn't been this small I would have stayed with the APS-C Sony E-mounts.

There seem to be many who are happy to pick up a different camera each time they go out the door. I need things to be simpler. (The only redundancy I have is that I have both the 55mm F/1.8 and the 50mm Loxia.)

I think I'm home now.

9. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Awesome input. Thank you.

I do own the A7II but for some reason always just write A7 I think out of laziness. Sorry for the confusion!

It seems the 35mm is much debated. I'm not seeing any expectation but from what I've seen I'm willing to give it a try. I have a really wonderful copy of the FD 35mm so I'm not worried.

I've come to terms with the lens size issue. I know i won't shoot with the 70-200 but the 55 and 85 are perfect compromises to me and my most used focal lengths. I think part of the reason for wanting the a6000 is that I will still have access to the smaller aps-c lenses for speciality use cases should there be like a long zoom lens that doesn't need it's own bag lol.

My biggest fear right now is that I'll miss a few of my choice m43 lenses as there is no equivalent in size, value and quality in the e mount lineup.

10. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    And another really really good point. Though I think the a6000 fills a very real need for me as i have young kids and i rarely want to bring the A7II with me on our outings. It's just a little too intrusive for me to be my only option. So having a very small rig is still important to me.

11. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I actually only have micro four thirds lenses so no way of keeping them unfortunately. [emoji53]

12. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks .. I think I do something similar...
    I am selling most of my lenses trying to see me using just a body and three lenses. I am not sure though I would stay on the emount or I might adapt to something different. I am of the few that are dissapointed with what my a6000 does. I might try the amount and then have some lenses to use through the la-ea2 adapter. I am thinking times for full frame but to be honest the sony mirrorless does not feel good to me.

Have fun

13. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I sold all of my E-mount and m4/3 native lenses, and have only legacy glass. I have adapters that will let me use them on either the A7 or E-M5, so there's plenty of crossover. I know using MF lenses only slows me down, but I just enjoy the tactile approach.

TT

14. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I debate over your question regularly, too.

Right now, my E-M5 really only gets used with the 75mm and the 25mm. Getting a Metabones Speedbooster has changed things a bit, but the A7 is still my first choice. I don't see myself getting rid of μ43, but I am becoming much more narrow in terms of what I want μ43 to do for me. For me, for now, I'm going to be dropping all my normal-ish lenses for μ43--I've sold my 45mm f/1.8, the Voigtlander 17.5mm is going next and then last the PL25. After that, I'll just have the 75mm and the 9-18mm.

Anyway, I can definitely see why you'd go the way you're going.

15. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    This is incorrect. 4/3 or micro 4/3 lenses only cover half frame.

16. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Gosh, Ive thought about this option so many times! Whats changed this year is I am working on putting together a print project and I want to be sure to have good solid performing glass for the A7II to do it. I love my legacy lenses but for the most part there is always some compromise on how they perform with modern sensors. It's not a huge difference, but its where I want to move to in my craft this next year. I really love my legacy glass collection and I don't see making any changes to it anytime soon. ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Ive actually considered only keeping the Oly pro zooms for the m43 kit. The focus speed is great, between the 12-40 and the 40-150 pro I would have a great span of focal lengths with amazing IQ in the smallest form factor compared to any other system with the same basic principle. (2 constant aperture zoom lens rig) This kit could easily shoot just about any commercial engagement I could run into and just as well as any FF kit. Then I could focus on only primes for the A7II. There would also be a distinctive reason to grab one or the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I have only recently moved solely to E Mount. My Nikon dSLR and 18-300 found another home earlier this month. I hadn't used them since February and that was only to compare it with my A6000 + FE 70-200 F4 combo which easily replaced and improved on what I used it for (Airshows). I have tried Nikon 1 and Olympus MFT in the past, both of which are interesting and produced good results but didn't gel for me. I am very content with Sony E Mount now.

Both my FE 28-70 and 70-200 lenses work nicely on my A6000 as well as my A7. Its like having two extra lenses with no weight penalty. Once I get my desired FE 16-35 I think I will have my AF requirements covered, leaving aside the very desirable FE primes, for now!

I can of course use my legacy glass on both bodies as well which is of great enjoyment for me. Again it is like doubling my lens collection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I think this is a good idea. I was about to abandon my M43 kit, but there are some things I prefer on M43. I do a lot of low light shooting, and the way the Olympus EVFs are setup they don't slow down when shooting in the dark. Also I tried some of the E mount glass, and I think the M43 glass to be cheaper, smaller and optically superior. I compared the Pan 20mm to the Sony 35mm, and I ended up returning the Sony. Wide open my cheap 20 was just sharper. Sensor vs sensor, Sony bodies have the upper hand, but M43 still offers a very compelling package. It's enough that I'm going to keep both around. :D