1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Confused with the emount lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Feb 24, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    lets say that I have a "typical" emount lens like the SEL35 and If I understand it right I can also use it to the full frame compact a7000 (something like that) sony released.
    What "happens" then? Is this the end of the world or the camera will still take some shoot with the lens?

R
    A.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I guess you meant A7/A7R. You can still use the previous nex lenses as they are still same e-mount cameras. You have the option of using them as 1.5x crop that matches to the apsc sensor or use at full frame sensor and then crop at your preference. Usually 1.3x crop covers the lens though the corners might not be the best. Here are 2 samples that I took w/ SEL 35 & 50mm and then cropped at 1.2-1.3x:

35mm OSS at 28.6MP crop ~ 39.35mm f2 equiv, ISO 10,000
    original.

50mm OSS 24MP equiv crop ~ 61mm f/2.3 equiv
    original.

3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    You can attach E mount lenses on FE mount cameras and everything (i.e. autofocus, OSS etc) will work as normal. The problem is that an E mount lens is designed to project an image circle onto an APSC sized sensor. If you put it on a camera with a 35mm sensor the image projected is not big enough to cover the whole of the sensor so you will get darkened corners. Most 35mm cameras give you the option to shoot in an APSC mode which only uses part of the sensor, but there's no real point having a 35mm sensor in this case. There is an illustration of this at http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/03/29/infographic-full-frame-vs-crop-factor-lenses/ which might make it clearer.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks for the answer. IF I understand it right I lose only on the megapixels count. So a 24MP sensor might end up 16Mp or something like that. In that case there is still reason to use my normal e mount lenses to get the most of iso performance of the larger sensor. Is there something wrong in this reasoning?

R
    A.

5. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The full apsc crop mode will give you 15.5MP for 36MP and 10MP for 24MP and most probably you will end up similar high iso performance to apsc sensors. By cropping 1.25-1.3 will give you sth in the middle similar to Canon/Leica M8 1.3x sensors. You will loose half a stop from full frame and gain half a stop from apsc. I think the advantage of these lenses on FF will be OSS for low light shooting/video.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi.. can you explain that in details? What would happen to the improved iso performance of the full frame at the reduced resolution?

7. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    There is approx. 1 stop difference btw ff and apsc. They have similar sensors. The only difference is the size, so by cropping you are reducing the sensor area used to apsc size. Therefore at 1.5x crop you end up w/ apsc quality with similar sensor area.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    And just to make things even more confusing, there are some APS-C E-mount lenses that will cover the entire area of the full-frame sensor on the A7 and A7R. The SEL1018, for instance, is perfectly usable, uncropped, from about 12mm to 16mm. See this thread for sample images.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Wait a sec if they are the same sensor why people then tend to scream "ISO 6400" is great on my A7... while typical old nex cameras only do 3200??

Regards
    A.

10. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Because more resolution with the same per pixel noise performance = better overall noise performance for any given image at any given presentation size. Which is once reason why I prefer more resolution (thus A7r), the other being that I love to print large, and more resolution at base ISO is always best :)