1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Confused about Rokinon Aspherical elements vs Canon FD L lenses ones..why the price difference?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Sep 23, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!
    So I have been day dreaming about some L lenses like the FD 85mm 1.2L and the 50mm 1.2L for example for my Lens Turbo 2.
    But as I have been researching, I noticed Rokinon lenses getting a lot of praise and including aspherical elements on the lenses like the 85mm and 12mm for example for low prices compared to what a Canon FD lenses costs. So, are those lenses really able to match the Canon FD lenses IQ at a fraction of the price? I have to be honest and say that from my test, my Canon FD lenses are above the E mounts I have had (which is why I sold all of them) but I wouldnt mind getting a cheaper comparable lense of course.
    Then again, the sad part will be no Lens Turbo 2 thus no real 85mm range nor extra stop gain but still I can figure out the focal ranges probably depending on their options.
    Any thoughts? :)

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Par of the cost of the 50 & 85mm L lenses is the history behind them and part of it is the optical quality, part of it is the build quality, and part of it is that red ring. Conversely, Rokinon lenses aren't well made. They're basically a great lens design held together with plastic and glue. Roger Cicala from LensRentals has described Rokinon lenses as 'disposable' lenses because of their low price and low build quality.

In terms of the aspherical elements themselves, creating an aspherical element used to be incredibly difficult and expensive. They're much cheaper now. The tech has advanced greatly since Canon's first asphericals in the 1970's.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have the rokinon 85 1.4, the canon FL 851 8 and the canon FD 85.18

I would say that the rokinon is a bit easier to focus because of a longer throw. On the other hand the minimum distance is a little less on the canons.

I think by 2.8 they are pretty equal in IQ

The rokinon is a little sharper wide open then the canon but it's razor thin at 1.4 at f2 it's much more controllable.

I can't speak for the L glass but there are some comparisons online between the rokinon and the FD 85 1.2

Unless you need the slightly better low light I would say save the 600+ dollars and get the rokinon.

You can use that 600 dollars you save to put for a used voigtlander 50 1.1

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't own any Canon L lenses, but I have played around with my friends. I don't know that the optical quality is better than my Rokinon, but the build quality is in another league. Most L lenses are dust and water resistant and have partial metal construction. Rokinon is all plastic.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Samyang lenses have metal outer parts and helicoids. The lenses inside are mounted with plastic spacers. I think that build quality is better than average economy lenses (say Sigma) but far below old day pro lenses (I don't have any modern pro lenses but "general wisedom" says (which I don't believe) that modern lenses aren't constructed as solidly).

Samyang is like all lens manufacturers, they have some good lenses and some not so good lenses. I really like my 12mm/2.0.

I am personally thinking about Samyang 85mm/1.4 in PK mount and Lens Turbo. That is cheaper option to Mitakon 50mm/.95 an the 85mm would be useful without LT too (however I have Contax Sonnar 85mm/2.8 that I like).

As original question. Making aspherical lenses is quite cheap these days. Even low dispersion glass isn't so expensive but these are not values itself. The lens design must take advantage of these factors and I believe that Canon optical engineers are better than Samyang ones. There are of course mirrorless lenses where Samyang can do very clever designs that are not possible with larger flange focal distance. Besides going from aperture 1.4 to 1.2 is very expensive so it isn't proper to compare two lenses with different maximum aperture.

With lenses I have found out that no test is as good as actual use of lenses. Renting or loaning one before purchase is probably best way to decide which lens suits your uses.

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I can't speak for all Samyang/rokinon lenses, but I am holding my 12mm F2 right now and the only thing metal is the mount. Conversely, my Sony 18-105G is clearly metal materials. What Rokinon lens are you referring to?

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think all others are metal housing. I haven't seen all the new lenses.

I thought that the 12 mm lens was in metal housing too, at least the plastic is really good quality.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

There's no way that Samyang/Rokinon's build quality is better than Sigma's. Maybe Sigma from the 1990's?

9. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Here is a shot with the rokinon 85 1.4 at 2.5 or 2.8 I think.

713f3d9b67745cef7ce044bd38a8db4c.

No complaints here. One of my favorite lenses.

Just wish it had closer focus.

Attached Files:

10. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Mind sharing the full size one too? Looks pretty sweet on that one!

11. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I can upload tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks! :)