Condensation INSIDE lens , Normal ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Noor, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    Hello ,

During my last trip to Indonesia , I suffered from internal condensation with my FE28mm. After placing the lens under sunlight the condensation would go. My other lens had condensation but it was limited to the outer element and wiping it off did the job..

Is that normal or the lens might have an issue ?

2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I live in Thailand so I am a bit of an expert in condensation. I have had one camera - an A7ii fail due to condensation. I havent ever seen internal condensation with a modern lens. (Are you sure what you thought was internal condensation wasnt in fact condensation on the back element?)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    Yes positively internal :/ I tried wiping off the back element.. I guess I should take it in considering it's still under warranty

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Isn't the Sony FE28 f2.0 supposed to be weather-sealed?
    Definitely not normal to have moisture inside. I hope you can prove your case with customer service.

How were the lenses stored? Were they subjected to a rainstorm?

5. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    nope , no rainstorm involved. I hope customer service receive my complaint positively..

6. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    The lens does not claim to be weather sealed , but I do believe it's supposed to be "weather resistant"

7. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    took it in for service at Dubai , lets see how they respond ..

8. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Lenses are not air tight, so it can certainly happen. Even pro Canon lenses that are marketed as weather sealed, require a filter to achieve that status.

9. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Also, weather sealing, or weather resistance, depends on the camera mount. No Sony A7 camera has an O-ring around the mount.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've read that was the official "fix" that Sony performed to the complaints of A7 light leak...

11. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    I did not have any such issues with the kit 16-50 or the Samyang 12mm F2. Anyway I took it in already , I'll get a response in a weeks time or so..