1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Concert shooting - photos from the first gig

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Poki, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    So here are some photos from friday. For me as a complete noob when it comes to photographing live acts, I'm quite happy with my results. What do you think? And which one do you like best? Click on an image to view it bigger on Flickr.

• Like Like x 5
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not being an expert, I think these are excellent. I like that they are up-close, you really get to see the performers and the black-and-white ones appeal most to me. If this is what you do as a noob, I'm looking forward to your work when you have emerged out of your noobness!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Great shots Poki! My favourite is the second colour one, though I like them all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thank you, but I probably won't shoot concerts regularly. It was fun, it definitely is a good experience as a photographer to have, but it's not where my heart is. Still, I think I got some nice ones (especially at the second gig -- will post them tomorrow).

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice work Poki!!! I like them all since they capture the "feeling" of the singer & quitar player so well

My personal favourite is #4. I don't know why but there is something in the colour tones ("earthly" tone) in that one that draw my attention :thumbup:

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    No complaints at all.

Concerts are tough as the lighting keeps changing intensity and color and the performers don't sit still, (often).

7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Nice looks like you may have shot at 6400, what lens did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, used ISO 6400 quite a bit alongside 1600 and 3200. Used the kit zoom for shots #2, 4 & 5 and my 24mm Sonnar for #1 & 3.

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    One benefit using Nex (or serious compact) in concerts is that there may be restrictions for "serious" cameras. A fellow pro uses Panasonic Lumix LX7 for concert work for that reason.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's true. Although I sometimes wish to have a bigger camera when those people with smartphones tell me their smartphone for sure takes just as good pictures as my NEX (can't they at least say THEY take as good pictures as I do? That, I wouldn't mind) ...