Computer he!!

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
It depends on where you live, and how much data you have to back up of course. My ISP is regional and still pretty good, and no stated cap I could find or am aware of. Local backup is great, but I want something off-site and I am not sure I could make swapping with someone I know locally work. Maybe I could get another backup drive and take one to work once a week or something like that. Still not ideal with some potential loss, but better than the local-only I have in place.

Many of the cloud backup services offer an option whereby you can ship them a locally-made backup to seed your data image, then it is differentials after the seed is done which for most people, is not as much as one might think. If you do video, especially 4K+, you might have issues though. I would only use a cloud-based backup service for things I do not want to lose - pictures obviously, documents, and the like. According to Windows my local backups right now are right around 500G and that includes over 4 months of versioning (which I should clean out actually). I have a 42mp body on the way though, so that could increase a lot in the not-too-distant future.

Dropbox is cool. I do have and use it for things I want to get from anywhere. I'd have to go to a paid plan to do backups, to have sufficient space. It is an interesting idea. The backup providers might be cheaper but I need to check.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I think I must agree with all of you re: RAM and Windows because I've ordered another 8gb for my computer. Turns out I didn't have it maxed out. Probably because I'm cheap, and wasn't doing much photo editing 8 years ago :dance:

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
I am absolutely dead set against using any "cloud" service as a primary data or backup resource, for personal or commercial data. I don't care how big the name is: everyone has outages. But as a second-string, it's fine. I always wanted this back in office days, where a restore of a file might require waiting for delivery of an offsite tape. Back then, the service and the bandwidth were too expensive.

When I share my concert pics, I use dropbox or pCloud. I think I have a lifetime-500Mb pcloud plan. That is a sort of backup, although it is only for stuff I have shared, and all images are reduced to 1920. Frankly, I could live with post-crop 1920 images if that was all that was left.

@bdbits: do it! Take that offsite copy to your office and swap once a week or so. It is a large amount of extra security for little cost/work. Whilst I did actually secure my computer from damage, waist-deep floodwater in the house causes one to take these things seriously. Fire, even theft, doesn't bear thinking about. The mental and emotional (never mind financial) toll of a natural disaster is so extreme, that adding the loss of one's digital history as well is too much to contemplate.

And natural disaster is why next-door won't do. Hopefully work is enough distance away.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Funny thing though, isn't it? Before digital, some people saved really important things in a safety deposit box. And that was about it. Photos, important letters (remember those anyone?) and other written documents, financial records... nearly everyone just had them at home. If you had a disaster, well, you lost it all. Now we try to preserve every last byte. I wonder if our descendants will even be able to look at our digital pictures much less all the other stuff we save. I am resolved to get some of my photos in printed form this year, partly for this reason. I love some of the family photos I have from nearly 100 years ago. I hope my descendants can feel the same.

Work is about 4 miles away. With geography and the way storms track through here, home/work would be do-able, and the flexibility is appealing as long as I have the discipline to follow through every week, lol. That is the appeal of a service - automation and it stays up-to-date and can be near-real-time.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I think I must agree with all of you re: RAM and Windows because I've ordered another 8gb for my computer. Turns out I didn't have it maxed out. Probably because I'm cheap, and wasn't doing much photo editing 8 years ago :dance:
What kind did you order?
I've got some old RAM sitting on my workbench I was going to offer to you.
I can take a pic of it if you'd like.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
2x 8GB DDR3 1600mhtz 240 pin. I also wimped out on the speed, but I will be maxing it out now.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
... ... ... Work is about 4 miles away. With geography and the way storms track through here, home/work would be do-able, and the flexibility is appealing as long as I have the discipline to follow through every week, lol. That is the appeal of a service - automation and it stays up-to-date and can be near-real-time.
Non-professionals are only answerable to ourselves. Missing a week, as long as it doesn't include some very important event, is just missing a week. Better to have the routine in place and miss occasional weeks. But missing more than one week makes me uncomfortable these days.

With my concert photography, if I have to do much post-processing or work from raw, each concert might take an hour or more. And I'd just hate to have to do it more than once. I'm supposed to be doing this for fun! Post processing for composition and little added extras is satisfying: post-processing orange faces for colour temperature is a chore. I do make sure this gets backed up to external disk after every session, even though the original pics are going to be on the card in the camera for quite a while.

It used to be said that lazy people make good system managers. I certainly claimed it! We try to set stuff up so that it just works long term, try to find the easy ways of doing tasks and try to protect ourselves against extra work. I'm very much into lazy system management! :laugh:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Did it come with an SSD? or M.2 drive? Sounds like a beast of a PC.
It has what is called Optane 16 or something like that. Supposed to make it run more like it has an SSD in it. The 'Optane' takes up the M.2 slots that it has. I asked on another board if it would make sense to put an SSD in it and take out the Optane, and the advice given was no it wouldn't make a noticeable difference to a user like me.
This thing is fast enough IMO. Any faster and it'd be two steps ahead of me in my thinking.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Update: Got my new memory sticks in the mail today. Put it in my PC after I gave it a good cleaning. Lightroom runs *much* faster and smoother. I can also export to other editing apps about 50% faster.

Wish I'd thought of this years ago.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Update: Got my new memory sticks in the mail today. Put it in my PC after I gave it a good cleaning. Lightroom runs *much* faster and smoother. I can also export to other editing apps about 50% faster.

Wish I'd thought of this years ago.
Hindsight is always 20-20. There've been a few 'epiphanies' like this for me too with my computers.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
I am absolutely dead set against using any "cloud" service as a primary data or backup resource, for personal or commercial data. I don't care how big the name is: everyone has outages. But as a second-string, it's fine. I always wanted this back in office days, where a restore of a file might require waiting for delivery of an offsite tape. Back then, the service and the bandwidth were too expensive.

When I share my concert pics, I use dropbox or pCloud. I think I have a lifetime-500Mb pcloud plan. That is a sort of backup, although it is only for stuff I have shared, and all images are reduced to 1920. Frankly, I could live with post-crop 1920 images if that was all that was left.

@bdbits: do it! Take that offsite copy to your office and swap once a week or so. It is a large amount of extra security for little cost/work. Whilst I did actually secure my computer from damage, waist-deep floodwater in the house causes one to take these things seriously. Fire, even theft, doesn't bear thinking about. The mental and emotional (never mind financial) toll of a natural disaster is so extreme, that adding the loss of one's digital history as well is too much to contemplate.

And natural disaster is why next-door won't do. Hopefully work is enough distance away.
Since I am retired and no longer going to an office where I would have a desk, and thus an off-site location for my backup drives, I indeed use my safe deposit box at one of the branches of my bank for this purpose. Once a month I make the swap of the freshly-backed-up drives with the ones which have been sitting in the bank, and this system works fine for me. It gives me peace of mind and I feel as though I'm providing some protection for my images as well as other important document files.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
Since I am retired and no longer going to an office where I would have a desk, and thus an off-site location for my backup drives, I indeed use my safe deposit box at one of the branches of my bank for this purpose. Once a month I make the swap of the freshly-backed-up drives with the ones which have been sitting in the bank, and this system works fine for me. It gives me peace of mind and I feel as though I'm providing some protection for my images as well as other important document files.
Good system! For those still working (outside the home), office is an easy answer. For others, a regularly visited friend will serve, if willing. Actually in my case, wife's friend, because she visits on a very regular basis.

I never thought of the bank deposit box! Thanks for the idea. Even if I did that only once a year it would preserve 15 years of my life.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
For those of you with unlimited bandwidth, if you have relatives nearby or a trusted neighbor, you can possibly set up a VPN to their computer with an attached USB/NAS drive. You can reciprocate the convenience for them so both have the insurance of off-sight back up. If you don't have unlimited, but have a trusted neighbor next door, you can still attempt it with WiFi repeaters and directional antennas for boosted range. Keep an encrypted NAS drive at each end that each of you can access respectively.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
Near neighbours is not the best idea for off-site backups. When I was up to my waist in yucky water, quiet a few people nearby were too. Mind you, in a city-wide disaster, Either one is going to put a lot of thought into flood plains, etc, or have good luck. Perhaps nothing is foolproof. One makes one's best effort.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
This suggestion was not a be-all solution. It only addresses one's fire and theft concerns. It was a suggestion for those who have bandwidth caps from their ISP's. Not natural disasters, which can also strike a cloud service if in the same city/town. Or also flood a bank's safety deposit boxes.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom