Comprehending 35 1.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Amamba, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I just recently sold my SEL50 and Minolta 50/1.4, and put up my Minolta AF 50/1.7 on Craigslist as well. I think I am done with 50mm primes for some time, just not using them often enough.

So, I am really tempted to get a 35 1.8 as a portraight / general walkaround / low light lens. I was torn between that and 20 2.8 for a while, but decided that 35 would be more useful overall.

The only thing I am unsure of is the FL. It seems a bit wide... I'd rather it was 28mm. But 28/2 lacks OSS and isn't that good for portraits.

So, what would you consider a good price for a new or used 35 ? And, are there many known sample variations ?
  2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    I've had one for a while and liked it a lot optically but sold it when I got my Sigma twins - 45mm FOV are more my cup of tea and I also had the 24mm Zeiss for low-light stuff back then. If I had to pick one again I'd take the SEL28f20 over the SEL35, but then that's just my preference for something wider as a walkaround lens - YMMV. (The reason I still don't have the SEL28 is my trusty 28mm/f2 Nikkor).
  3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I want something that would double as a portrait lens with good bokeh. I sold my SEL50 because I almost never used it, the FL was just too limiting. Hope 35 would be more universal while close to the bokeh and overall IQ of 50.

I have been steadily getting rid of many of my lenses, trying to concentrate on taking photos instead. I really don't have a compact walkabout lens with good portrait quality, SEL18105 is good but not for every situation. Sigma 30 has an OK bokeh - nothing really special - but I struggle with skin tones sometimes. 35 seems like a nice enough all-rounder.

28/2 is a perfect FL but I really need OSS.
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    The Sony E-mount 35/1.8 seems like the obvious choice, especially if OSS is a major priority. (Though for a "normal" prime on APS-C I'd be very tempted by the Zeiss Touit 32mm. I tend to value usable speed - a fast lens that performs well all the way from wide open - over stabilization. Especially if the subjects are going to be moving.)
    I really like the BOKEH with the FE Sony/Zeiss 35/2.8, but that f/2.8 maximum aperture does seem pretty workmanlike and it's probably not the most sensible buy for APS-C use.