Comprehending 35 1.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Amamba, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I just recently sold my SEL50 and Minolta 50/1.4, and put up my Minolta AF 50/1.7 on Craigslist as well. I think I am done with 50mm primes for some time, just not using them often enough.

So, I am really tempted to get a 35 1.8 as a portraight / general walkaround / low light lens. I was torn between that and 20 2.8 for a while, but decided that 35 would be more useful overall.

The only thing I am unsure of is the FL. It seems a bit wide... I'd rather it was 28mm. But 28/2 lacks OSS and isn't that good for portraits.

So, what would you consider a good price for a new or used 35 ? And, are there many known sample variations ?

2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've had one for a while and liked it a lot optically but sold it when I got my Sigma twins - 45mm FOV are more my cup of tea and I also had the 24mm Zeiss for low-light stuff back then. If I had to pick one again I'd take the SEL28f20 over the SEL35, but then that's just my preference for something wider as a walkaround lens - YMMV. (The reason I still don't have the SEL28 is my trusty 28mm/f2 Nikkor).

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I want something that would double as a portrait lens with good bokeh. I sold my SEL50 because I almost never used it, the FL was just too limiting. Hope 35 would be more universal while close to the bokeh and overall IQ of 50.

I have been steadily getting rid of many of my lenses, trying to concentrate on taking photos instead. I really don't have a compact walkabout lens with good portrait quality, SEL18105 is good but not for every situation. Sigma 30 has an OK bokeh - nothing really special - but I struggle with skin tones sometimes. 35 seems like a nice enough all-rounder.

28/2 is a perfect FL but I really need OSS.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    The Sony E-mount 35/1.8 seems like the obvious choice, especially if OSS is a major priority. (Though for a "normal" prime on APS-C I'd be very tempted by the Zeiss Touit 32mm. I tend to value usable speed - a fast lens that performs well all the way from wide open - over stabilization. Especially if the subjects are going to be moving.)
    I really like the BOKEH with the FE Sony/Zeiss 35/2.8, but that f/2.8 maximum aperture does seem pretty workmanlike and it's probably not the most sensible buy for APS-C use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.