1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

comparison

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BJW, Dec 18, 2014.

1. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    I know this is not the forum for RX100 cameras. Right now I going back and forth between the RX100 3 and the A6000. I honestly can't say I would be changing lenses on the A 6000. There is a size difference between the two as well as a cash difference. I'm looking for something small enough to carry in a large coat pocket and was wondering if any of you had used both cameras and can compare the IQ of the two cameras. I know the RX100 3 has a faster lens. I'm really more interested in the DR range and IQ of the images.
    Thanks for any information you could add.
    bruce

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I too have a serious jones for that R100M3, but from what I've seen on various photo sites, its sensor, while perhaps the best 1" sensor on the market right now, can't come close to an APS sensor in both low light noise and dynamic range. DPReview's Studio Comparison Tool is a good place to go if you want see the difference.

So the question you'll have to answer is: is it good enough for what you want to shoot?

• Like Like x 1
  3. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    and the A 6000 is less in price.
    bruce

4. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    If you can miss viewfinder… go with A5100 + 16-50. Or better + 20/2.8 (pocketable) and 35/1.8 or 50/1.8 for low light… and you will be completelly set and IQ will be superb. A5100 is pretty small, body only close to rx100 and IQ an AF same as A6000 + touchscreen…

Sent from my ZTE V967S using TalkEmount mobile app

5. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    That is a thought. Don't know if I want to live without an eye-level viewer though. I have a legacy 20MM lens but that would require another piece and while I do shoot with a fixed lens at times on my DSLR I prefer a zoom for convenience.
    bruce

6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I used RX100 for 2 years until it stopped to release the lens. It is a small camera to hold, so the grip helps. Also mark I has min shutter 1/30sec which was low for hand holding it esp without viewfinder and also too slow for motion. I think sensor is very good for its size, nearly matching m43 sensors. I prefer the smaller size RX100 since it can fit into even pants pocket. A6000 has better af and tracking, but I don't like use the e-zoom w/ 16-50 eg you need 2 hands vs 1 hand w/ RX100. The limitation of both cameras is the lens. The distortion correction at 24mm on RX100 is around 12.5% vs 16-50 is around 6% so for people faces on the edges stretches more with RX100. RX100 has silent shutter. Price of the mark 3 kept me getting a new one and fixing the old one also costs nearly $250...

As long as you are not printing too big, even ISO 3200 is good:
    original.

Here is low ISO taken from a car:
    original.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce

8. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Many thanks! I would prefer something small, a carry camera as I already use the DSLR for when I want more DR.
    bruce

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The RX100 is pretty impressive.