1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Comparison of Nex 6 with Zeiss 24mm f1.8 with RX1

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Ray Sachs, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    I just did a comparison of the Nex 6 with the Zeiss 24mm over on Serious Compacts - I put it there because it involves a Nex but its wider than the Nex universe. If anyone is interested, you can see it here: Nex 6 with Zeiss 24mm f1.8 vs RX1. The Nex and the Zeiss lens acquitted themselves quite well I thought...

-Ray Sachs

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's a little unfortunate that you magnified both crops to the same extent in your low light comparison. Sure, that's usually the best way to do it, but it puts the NEX even further to a disadvantage. Probably it would have been best if you used a 7 instead of the 6 for the comparison.

But thank you for your comparison. Only proves that - if you don't often shoot at or above ISO 6400 - the NEX APS-C sized sensors are more than good enough for most people.

3. Ray Sachs

Feb 9, 2013
    Seemed like the best way to do it, but yeah, I'd love to do it with the 7 if I'd had one, or better yet, it's successor... And yes, the RX1 is the only full frame I've ever owned (digital, at least) and its way past "need". I like it, I'm really glad to own it, but all of my other gear is APS and m43 and its more than enough in the vast majority of situations.

-Ray

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Wow, except for the high ISO shots, I think the NEX-6 with the Zeiss lens really acquits itself very well. I'd be hard pressed to say which of the landscape shots I prefer.

Now... I just know I left $1,100 in lens money around here somewhere. :p

5. Ray Sachs

Feb 9, 2013
    Yeah, I think the differences in DR and resolution are more apparent when working with the files than in the finished results, but the really low light stuff is pretty amazing on the RX1. I personally like the controls and shooting experience more with the RX1 than the Nex (although I don't have any trouble getting around on the Nex), but I like the X100s more than either and I chose the RX1 over that one too...

-Ray

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks very much for sharing!

I'd be curious to get your take on the "character" of the respective lenses.

I'm doing an ongoing comparison of my NEX-7/SEL24 versus the Canon EOS-M/22mm kit and one thing I notice is that while the Canon 22mm is very impressive in many ways, the Sony/Zeiss has a certain something, a sparkle in the rendering that the Canon doesn't quite have. It's hard to quantify or even illustrate, but I do feel it is there and I know other SEL24 users have reported it as well. I'd very much like to hear and see your extended impressions on how the SEL24 measures up against the RX1 (or vice versa) in that regard.

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True, there's something special about the 24mm Sonnar, just as it is with some other Zeiss or Leica lenses. I didn't purchase it solely for it great image quality and close focusing capability, but mainly for the inspiring feeling it gives me when using it.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Agreed!

9. Ray Sachs

Feb 9, 2013
    Kind of a tough question because I find the "character" you speak of is something that emerges, for me at least, over time - its not immediately apparent in test shots. Some lenses you appreciate the obvious things about when you first get them and then they grow and grow on you over time. Others you appreciate the obvious things about right away and they never get any better than they were on day 1. The RX1 is a lens - a camera really, since the lens and sensor are sooooo closely mated and the lens so thoroughly designed to work only in that camera environment - that has grown on me in leaps and bounds. I liked it immediately - I was amazed by its low light capability, its narrow DOF, and how easy the raw files were to work with. But over time I've come to appreciate it far more. I recently spent a month in Italy and had five cameras along (each with only one lens, although two could have been used as ILCs) - I usually went out with one or two, sometimes three. And over the course of the trip the RX1 evolved from being one of five to being THE ONE I grabbed most often, except that I'd go for the Nikon "A" more for street work. And in the book I've produced of photos from that trip, the RX1 images are my favorites by far. And every one of those cameras is a really fine camera in its own right, so its not like it was light competition. SOOO, the RX1 has the character you speak of.

Which is a long way of leading up to.... I THINK the Zeiss 24 for the Nex has a lot of that too, but I haven't (and surely won't) spend enough time with it to fully see it. The reason I think it does is how similarly it renders to the RX1 lens. On the shots that don't really stress the sensor or the narrow DOF aspects of the lens, the two lenses produce strikingly similar images. The two cameras seem to default to slightly different WB settings (the Nex a touch warmer), but the lenses seem remarkably similar. I suspect that if I liked enough in the Nex system to buy into it, I'd surely have this lens and would come to more fully appreciate it's character, and limitations. For a quick and dirty first look, I can't fully GET that. But it makes a hell of a good first impression. So I suspect its there. Or would be for me. But realistically, a lot of that "character" of which we speak is subtle enough that it's ultimately in the eye of the beholder anyway... I think, but can't know for sure, that I'd see it - I can't say if anyone else would.

-Ray

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks, and RE: BOKEH

Thanks for that! If I come into a lot of money, or decide to start trying to earn income with my roaming candid shots, the RX1 would definitely get on my short list! (I sometimes think of my EOS-M as being a poor man's RX1...)

On another subject, the BOKEH comparisons - now those can be really tough to do. (Makes straight up sharpness/resolution testing seem straightforward.) When comparing the EOS-M against the SEL24, shot from the same tripod location, the SEL24 appeared to have a significant advantage:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/92878699@N04/9347190427/" title="SEL24 vs EF-M 22mm exterior wide open by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr"> 9347190427_0c00c7311f_o. "1200" height="600" alt="SEL24 vs EF-M 22mm exterior wide open"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/92878699@N04/9347190595/" title="SEL24 vs EF-M interior wide open by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr"> 9347190595_840d0f9530_o. "1000" height="1000" alt="SEL24 vs EF-M interior wide open"></a>

When I did a second round of testing however, this time trying to compensate for the slight differences in viewing angle and focal length, the results were not nearly as skewed:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/92878699@N04/9361749095/" title="Sony SEL24mm vs Canon EF-M 22mm BOKEH comparison by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr"> 9361749095_caba615245_o. "1000" height="1000" alt="Sony SEL24mm vs Canon EF-M 22mm BOKEH comparison"></a>

What I learned is that to do a truly fair comparison of subject isolation capabilities between two different lenses and/or systems, it is important to frame the in-focus subject exactly the same. Unfortunately, that can be a real pain in the neck. (You can see that in spite of my conscious effort I didn't quite get a perfect match, so the EOS-M actually had the unfair advantage in round 2.)

I applied these findings to my shooting habits. Since slight differences in framing have so much impact on background blur, when I am wanting to get this effect with slow-ish lenses on a crop format, it definitely helps to get in extra close and frame my subject as tightly as I can.

Maybe when I finally go full-frame, I'll be able to let my gut out a bit! :p

11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Thanks for that.

There's much to recommend the RX1, but I like a slightly longer lens. If it had come out with a 50mm, they might of had me.

Bill