Comparison between Panasonic G3 + 12mm f/2 and Sony NEX-C3 + 16mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by soundimageplus, Aug 31, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus New to TalkEmount

Aug 30, 2011
    <a href="" title="Panasonic Lumix G3 Olympus 12mm f/2 Sony NEX-C3 16mm f/2.8 by soundimageplus, on Flickr"> 6092396657_5c86c97deb_z. "640" height="357" alt="Panasonic Lumix G3 Olympus 12mm f/2 Sony NEX-C3 16mm f/2.8"></a>

Soundimageplus: Comparison between Panasonic G3 + 12mm f/2 and Sony NEX-C3 + 16mm f/2.8

I've compared the two camera / lens combinations, which I own with regard to ISO performance and the lenses at all apertures.

One thing that came out of this was how, under controlled conditions and mounted on a tripod, the 16mm f/2.8 Sony lens compared to the Olympus 12mm f/2. The 16mm doesn't exactly get a lot of enthusiastic endorsements whereas the 12mm does. I was interested to find out for myself, as having a NEX-7 on order I wanted to see just what it was capable of.

There is a link to a large file so that you can have a look, but I was quite surprised by the fact that the 16mm produced, what I consider, are very decent results.

I've also put together a long personal review of the NEX-C3 here:- NEX-C3 Review
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. It really seems the pane 12 mm is a bit overhyped (even Photozone thinks so) and the 16 mm is still as bad in mind as the pre-production samples were.

Oh, and love the pic on top of your review with the 18-55 lens - it looks so nicely. :D
  3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    David, thanks for sharing your impressions of the NEX-C3 here on the forum. I was surprised to see how favorably you found the Sony 16mm to be compared to the Olympus 12mm. The Olympus lens is getting high praise and the Sony lens really never has. It was also interesting to note that they really weren't equivalent 24mm lenses, at least not to each other, and perhaps not a full-frame 24mm lens either. The Sony had a bit wider field-of-view than the Olympus.