1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Comparing Sigma's 19mm and 30mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by davect01, Apr 19, 2013.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Having just purchased the 30mm Sigma I thought I would compare it against the 19mm. Just some basic thoughts.

1- Shorter. Suprized me that the 30mm is shorter than the 19mm.

2- Lens hood not included. The 19mm came with a nice, reversable lens hood. The 30mm does not, and the lens hood from the 19mm does not fit.

3- As far as images, both seem fairly equal, but I don't get too carried away.

IMG_7959-625x361.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    1. Usually, lens construction for a 2.8 30mm lens is much simpler than for a wider angle lens. Therefor, there are less aberrations to correct with additional glass, so it can be made smaller.

2. Yep, they went cheap here. But it should be pretty flare resistant anyways.

3. They are both good lenses. At least they are the best easy-choice lenses for the E-Mount.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    1- Just was not expecting it to be shorter. Understand why, just find it kind of funny.

2- Ya, don't get that one. Found plenty of screw on hoods on Ebay if I decide I want to order one.

3- For the price, hard to beat!

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've always kind of hated hoods and IME the Sigmas are very nice and flare resistant - especially the 30mm.

5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I have both and like them equally, although the 30mm is q better focal length for me. Both have good contrast, sharPness and colour. Excellent value and petite.