1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Comparing sigma 19 and sony 16

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 18, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi
    has anyone compared the sigma 19 and the sony 16mm lenses. They might not be exactly the same focal length but are quite close. Which one gave you best results? I will get of course the sigma 19 mm soon but I feel tempted for the 16mm a it also comes with two nice converters. How much f stops do you loose with the two converters? Has anyone ever used these two converters? It does not look like that the sony 16 plus the adapters are very much in favor here..:)

Regards
    Alex

2. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Hi Alex

I've got the Sigma 19mm, the Sony 16mm and both the wide angle and fisheye adapters. There is no loss of light with the adapters like a teleconverter so f/2.8 is still f/2.8. The Sigma is a much more superior lens with great edge to edge sharpness even wide open, the Sony's corners become really mushy at this aperture. Is the Sony that bad? Well, as long as you know it's limitations then you can work around it. I also get the feeling it actually gets better with the adapters, but that's maybe just me!

Here's what the Sony + wide angle can do:

8131194847_413c7272ff_c.
    Arrieta Sunrise by Pam & Ben, on Flickr

with the fisheye:

9312823276_6c709e7407_c.
    Duomo Di Firenze by Pam & Ben, on Flickr

and one from the Sigma:

9313118538_6cd0826b1e_c.
    Loro Ciuffenna by Pam & Ben, on Flickr

If it weren't for the adapters, I wouldn't carry the 16mm around, but since they give the equivalent of a 12mm rectilinear lens and a 10mm fisheye they're very useful to have to hand.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Darn. I like so much the fish-eye.... .. Arghhh. I will have to search for donations I guess :p

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    If money's not an issue,
    You might want to look long term thus opting for the Sigma 19 & supplementing it later with the new 10-18 :smile:

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Oups! This is expensive...
    I think that the cheapest solution for me would be the sony 16mm pancake.. and when I have money invest on the wide angle converter and then on the fish eye converter.
    I do not think there are cheaper alternatives that one can have 16mm, wide angle, and fish eye below 300 euros (total cost for the pancake and the two converters).

Alex

6. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    There's no question that the 16mm is not as good optically as Sigma 19mm, but it's pretty good stopped down to about f/8. It was only acceptable when mounted on Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5 (those 2 cameras had rather problematic sensors with suboptimal microlens design), but it's much better on newer cameras (except NEX-7).

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the update.. I guess I will also have problems then with my nex-f3 .. but I am not sure if I can do any different. The main motivation to have the sony is to get access later on to the two converters and so below 300 euros have wide angle and fisheye...
    A

8. jvjc888

jvjc888 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    I have both and they have different uses. The sigma 19mm is definitely sharper than the sony 16mm and I like the colors. I use the 19mm for water landscapes when I need a slower shutter speed because it has a filter thread, the sony does not have filter threads but doable using DIY adaptors. Is use the sony 16 on any other landscapes that I need wide angle.

9. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    Sony 16mm certainly DOES have 49mm filter thread.

10. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    It's certainly a no-brainer to get 16mm and 12mm rectilinear lenses plus a 10mm fisheye for around the £300 mark. Just know how to get the best of the lens and don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

I could have dragged my Nikon D300, Samyang 8mm fisheye and Sigma 10-20mm around but it would have weighed and cost considerably more. This is where the size and portability of the Nex system wins out.

11. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Actually I have both. I mainly use 16mm alone stopped down to min 5.6 or coupled to the converter to get a wider angle for some purposes. As some others said, the 16mm is good for wide landscapes as soon as you can stop down enough.
    Here is what you can expect from it (taken at ISO 800 and f5.6)

Midtown Manhattan at sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

12. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    In order for the lens comparison to be valid the photos should have been taken of the same subject with the same f stop under the same lighting conditions and at the same ISO. Unfortunately this was not the case. While I have never used the Sigma 19mm lens I will accept the majority opinion that it is a better lens then the Sony 16mm f 2.8 lens however the 16mm lens is not as bad as some people say and if you are careful with it you can get excellent results. I do agree with what one user said stating that for some strange reason the 16mm is a better lens with the wide angle adapter.

13. millonario

millonario TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Not with converters affixed tho. I think thats what they were referring to. I could be way off and have made an ass of myself. That tends to happen when one assumes...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TalkNEX mobile app

14. millonario

millonario TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    I got the 16mm pancake and fisheye of under $200 australian. It is in no way perfect but f#@k me it is a fun combo to play with!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TalkNEX mobile app