1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Compact wide angle for A7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BrorSvensson, Sep 6, 2015.

1. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Hey! im looking for a compact wide angle lens for my A7, something around 24mm. Any good affordable options?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Used the Olympus OM Zuiko 24/2.8 a lot before I got the FE 16-35mm; test shots here. The Minolta MD 24mm lenses aren't great when you're looking for corner-to-corner sharpness.

3. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks, its really a shame that the adapter is so long for that lens. But it's defiently a contender if i don't find any smaller.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Depends on what you're looking for. It probably won't cover the whole image frame of the A7 because it's been designed for the half-frame Pen format of 18x24mm. It's difficult to find an affordable and good 20/21mm lens for the A7, I've tried and failed :( and ended up buying the FE 16-35mm. Some people think highly of the Canon FD 20mm 1:2.8, don't have personal experience with that lens.

5. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    :/ That sucks, might have to go with the oly 24mm then.

Edit: I just saw that sony makes a 16mm 2.8 for the Apsc E mount, is the image area any bigger than apsc? Anyone have one that could test it?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    In my experience, even the best of the APS-C lenses, and even with their baffles removed, will be mediocre to awful in the corners on an A7. They're just not designed to cover that much area, and while they may work well in the center, they suffer from considerable smearing at the edges. Finding a good "compact" wide angle is difficult because the front lens element usually has to be fairly large to capture a wide field of view.

That said, I thought fairly highly of my old Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 (right up until it tested it against the SEL2470). ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks for the explanation, have you heard anything about the mir 20n?

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I haven't, but perhaps one of the other inmates here has some info.

9. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Much wider than 24mm, but there is the SEL 10-18 f/4 zoom. It's an APS-C lens but works full frame between 12-16mm.

10. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Little to expensive for me.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've seen great results from the canon FD 20 2.8 - I think @izTheViz@izTheViz has that lens...

12. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

What's your budget?

13. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    aroun 100-150$

14. bwana4swahili

bwana4swahili New to TalkEmount

May 26, 2014
    If you don't mind manual lenses, I'd take a look at Samyang's 14mm, 24mm and 35mm lenses. I have all three in EF mount and use them on A7 bodies with a manual adapter. They're fast lenses and as a result not particularly small (or light).

There are also some great ol' Canon FD lenses in this range that work quite with Sony A7 bodies.

bwa

• Like Like x 1
  15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Then either an FD lens or an Olympus OM of the 24mm or 28mm variety. The problem is that prices start going up when get wider than 35mm. Once you've hit the $300 or $350 mark, you might as well consider native options (the new FE 28mm f/2 often goes for $390 used).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    390 is way to much for me, the olympus om seems really apealing. Any thoughts on the nikkor 24mm f2.8 ai, have seen some around for about 150

17. jpfigueiredo

jpfigueiredo TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2015
    Leiria, Portugal
    I see you use a couple of Nikkors. Have you considered the AIS or AI 20mm f/3.5.
    You should find one for $150, I think.

• Like Like x 1