1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Compact lenses for my nex-f3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 11, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    as it looks like that there is no compact lenses for my nex-f3 camera (there are people saying that the compact lenses are for the nex-6 series) I would like to know if is possible to have some sort of compact lenses (18-55 or around those numbers) in a more compact form.

As I am a really noobie, could you please inform me how I mount an adapt lense and if the auto focus, manual focus will work with my camera?

Regards
    Alex

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hello Alex, welcome to the forum and the NEX family. :)

The new 16-50 lens should work fine with your camera. It will focus a bit faster on a 5R/6, but it should focus ok on yours as well.

3. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    The minolta rokkor 45mm f2 lens is pretty small and lightweight, it's the smallest MF lens I have. It's also very sharp wide open and only cost me $20.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks! How I can buy that minolta lense and how to mount it? What I lose from my nex functionality with that lense? Are there also compact alternatives that give a bit of zoom like 30-60mm?

5. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    You can buy the lens from ebay or craigslist. Below is one ebay listing for this lens.

Minolta Rokkor x MD 45 mm F2 Lens | eBay

You'll need to get an adapter so you can mount that lens to the nex cameras. Here's the adapter I use.

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Minolta MD/MC/SR Rokkor Lens to Sony Alpha Nex E-mount Camera Adapter: Camera & Photo

When using these old lenses, you will lose auto focus. So you'll need to adjust the aperture and focusing yourself. Turn on focus peaking on your camera and it'll make manual focusing a breeze :D As for zooms, I don't think there's any compact ones out there other than the sony 16-50 retractable lens. So if you need a compact zoom then I think the 16-50 would be your only choice.