1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'compact' camera question

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by teefin1, Feb 3, 2013.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I have an A57 for 'proper' stuff and Waiting on the C3 for legacy use and I'm interested in a handbag camera, take everywhere, kids in the soft play centre kinda thing. Not bothered about limited depth of field but definitely fast AF. Two main contenders are the Fuji x10, as I see others here have that and show some lovely pics, or the Nikon V1. Both a similar price at mo. I'm leaning toward the v1 because of it's supposed blazing fast AF, and it stands up well against others in the DPR studio scene tests. But, I don't know anyone here, or elsewhere that has one, so any input would be appreciated.

PS. I was also looking at the Pentax Q but there isn't a comparison available for that, and rather than reading data I like to see the differences.

Thanks
    Tracy

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sony RX100, no question.

If you want to go cheaper, take something without interchangeable lenses. Will be smaller (e.g. jeans pocketable) and less expensive in the long run (we all know we'd buy lenses for everything if we could ... ;)).

3. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    My wife has a Sony hx30v and she loves it its small enough to fit in a pocket or handbag without question and docent do a bad job for a compact point and shoot.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So does mine and she gets pretty descent pictures.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I think I can speak for both Dixeyk and I here in saying we love the Fuji X10. I'm on a ski vacation right now and it's the only camera I bothered taking me with. I you want something with a useful zoom range, good IQ and that also feels great to hold (and looks devilishly sexy), the Fuji is the one ...

6. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    That's what I was worried about! The v1 is good, but ugly and lots of menu diving. The Canon G1x has good IQ/iso performance but apparently crappy AF, and for the money an x100 wouldnt be too much of a stretch....plus is super sexy. So given the budget it might be an x10 for me too.

7. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    If you want something truly pocketable then the RX100 looks good, although it's around £400 I think.

I know someone who has an LX7 (Panasonic) and is very impressed - it has a nice fast sharp lens and goes for £250 to £300 new.
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/1294294/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx7

Neither of the above have an evf of course although you can I think add one to the LX7 at a price of course.

Fuji X10 is £289 at Castle Cameras by the way - not bad considering they were nearly £500 when first released in 2011:
    http://www.castlecameras.co.uk/fuji-finepix-x-10

8. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    +1 for the Fuji X10
    Best buy for that price now!

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    As nianys said, I like the Fuji X10 but I will say that to get the best out of it you need to spend some time with it and get used to how it works. If you do then it would definitely be my choice.

10. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Olympus PEN Mini maybe?

11. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I did have an EPM1 and loved it! Choices, choices. :)

12. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yeah, I hate that. Especially when you had something that you know is good and works for what you need, but there's new options out there too. The EPM1 would be the safe choice it seems since you are familiar...but not as fun since you've had it before...lol

13. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    X10 is down to £275 at amazon now - might drop even more once the X20 comes out next month though?? A drop to £250 would make it half the original release price and half the release price of the X20, so good value.

The V1 has an owners thread on tp UK which might be of use (or a good place to ask any questions), check out Serious Compacts too, think there are a few V1 owners on there.
    Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread.... - Talk Photography

14. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks Applemint. The V1 is down to £226 on amazon right now, so comparable. Tough to decide! IQ seems better on the V1 than the fuji or EPM1 too....but the Fuji is a true compact and asthetically pleasing.....I really must find something more sensible to agonise over ;)

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I'll vouch further for the X10 ! It'd an insanely versatile camera, and I'm just super happy I chose it for my ongoing ski vacation. I can't post any proof as I don't have proper bandwidth to work with, but I think as a travel companion it's hard to beat.

16. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    B*lls....makes it even harder to decide! Hope youre having a fun vacation, youll have to post some pics....that might help ;)

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Just made this post with a boatload of X10 pics... Just sayin' ;)

18. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I've got a Flickr photo set that's all my X10 shots

Fuji X10 - a set on Flickr

I find the X10 to be an extraordinarily versatile camera and far and away the favorite compact I have ever had (and that includes the E-PM1 with the P20/1.7 and P14/2.5). I like it so much that I went out and blinged it out with a soft shutter release, thumb rest and Gordy leather wrist strap. Seriously though, it's an easy camera to love, does a lot of things well and is super fun to use.

The reason I tend to grab it for day to day stuff are simple

- terrific and reasonably fast zoom that is fast throughout the zoom range
    - OVF...it may not show any details but it is still useful in bright sun
    - excellent color and JPEGS (I would say as good as or better than the fabled Olympus colors)
    - lots of control over images if you want it but can also be a set and forget kind of camera
    - nice handling and feel. It might be small for some folks hands but if you like the E-PM1 than this wouldn't be too small
    - proper external controls
    - REALLY fun to use

I also find that the X10 is a terrific companion to my NEX.

19. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I agree on Fuji colors bettering Oly ones, no sweat.

20. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Ok, throwing it out there.....what about the GX1? I know a couple of you had/have one if these and maybe the x10 too! Any pro's for the panny? (with just 1 lens, oly 45 maybe?)