1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Commlite EF to Nex adaptor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by CWL, Mar 12, 2015.

1. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    image. Just taken delivery of the above and really impressed with the quality. Everything works on my Canon 50mm f/1.4 however autofocus is painfully slow, takes anywhere between 2-3 sec to lock so only suitable for static subjects.

Manual focusing is a breeze, in fact it's more accurate in low light than autofocus mode through the view finder.

Tempted to purchase a Tamron 18-270 or Sigma 18-200, may not be the best lenses but the compactness is very appealing.

2. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray TalkEmount Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    I had this adapter when I still shot EF glass. Yes, slow AF...but with that said, it's a GREAT, CHEAP, and not much slower alternative to the metabones EF adapters. Still records EXIF and controls aperture, so if you only shoot MF, it's still a win.

3. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    It appears that all the auto adapters have painfully slow auto focus. I had a Commlite, sold it with A7R, I also have a Metabones IV. They both had slow auto focus, but worked well in manual focus and delivered the EXIF data and supported the aperture setting requirement.

The only advantage the Metabones version offers, which is critical for me, is a solid foot for mounting on an L Bracket for tripod work. I use it with my TSE lenses and the rubber insert on the comlite mount was too wobbly.

4. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    I don't recall any rubber on the commlite that I had. I think it was all metal or had some hard plastic. The mount from what I recall was sturdy metal. Since I bought it back in June 2014, it could have been manufactured differently, or my memory is incorrect (most likely the latter).

5. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    On my version there was a thumb screw that attached the foot to the adapter. That just never was solid enough for me. There were a couple of rubber numbers as I recall. That's what I'm blaming for the wobble.
    The Metabones is solid.

6. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Yea I recall the thumb screw mount on mine. It was rather small, but made completely out of metal and was fairly sturdy. I guess commlite made different batches with different materials.

7. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Apparently.
    I just downloaded and updated the firmware on my Metabones.
    I started a thread. I can now control the aperture on my 300mm F4L IS. It also appears that IS works on the A7II. Both welcome. I was getting ready to sell the 300. Now it will stay in the kit.
    The Commlite did not support the aperture on the 300mm either. Never tried to update firmware. Not even sure that's possible.

8. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Not sure either. That's one thing that is lacking with the cheap commlite; support.

9. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    I have the same Commlite, and have the Sigma 18-200 as well as the newer 18-250. Both have issues when in A mode. The camera seems to stop reacting to the lens zoom and aperture.
    Turn the camera off, switch to M on the lens, and everything is happy with the camera.

Any ideas as to what's up with this? My searches haven't turned up anything.

Thanks