ColorChecker users with A7Rii...looking for feedback and tips

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by shaolin95, Oct 6, 2016.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!

So I normally use DXO or PhotoNinja for RAW conversion then finish in Photoshop. Just wondering if anyone is doing a similar procedure and is using ColorChecker in the workflow . Trying to figure out how you guys are integrating it.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    one problem with Capture One is that it won't work with profiles created from a passport checker, does DXO ot Photoninja?
    When I used Lightroom I created colour profiles for specific jobs to ensure the colour was correct , for example photographing art work, or customers products where the colour is obviously important. especially since you have no idea how calibrated is their viewing monitor.
    the only other use was as a grey scale for white balance for which it will work in any software of course.

3. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
  4. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    so don't understand what you are suggesting because , as I said , the white balance can be used ,( btw the wrong grey was selected in both of your examples. the correct one is shown in this video along with the way its used to complete a correct profile for ACR.)
    What is done in the image professors post is selecting the blue and adjusting to taste and not creating a correct colour profile to match the lighting and the camera sensor.

whowever this a work round if you want please look for camprof | fuzzy01's blog

5. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Seems I must have misread your statement. My apologies and thank you for the correction/clarification. I tend to focus on white balance settings.
    I DO color correct my monitor and am contemplating the same for my printer. Haven't thought too seriously about a color profile for the camera/lens combo + the color temp of the light, but maybe I should? I understand the issues of matching Tide XK orange to the manufacturer's spec'd out orange colortone... and maybe that's where you're going?

6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I dont really use Capture One much myself. PhotoNinja actually has the option to use the ColorChecker photo builtin which was a nice plus. DXO seems to not have a way to support it still. I just got it so I am playing with it but so far it feels good to know your colors are accurate aside from WB and when you have a calibrated display, it just gives me peace of mind :D